Yet another Monday. Yet another week. The weekend seems to go off at lightning speed for me. I heard of a very bad news on Friday evening and ever since I am trying to cope up with it. I do not want to share it on this blog but I would only pray to God to give everyone the strength to go through the tough times and to keep the world safe.
I am posting a very simple recipe today. A weekday lunch that can be made very quickly. This dish does not require many ingredients and nevertheless turns out quite tasty. If you love sweetcorn and are a fan of spring onion like me, be assured that this would be your favorite in no time. This is usually very good for taking in lunch boxes too. I have kept the flavors very simple – salt and pepper powder. Substitute white rice with brown rice, you will have a healthy bowl for food.
To make Sweetcorn Spring Onion Rice
What I used –
- Basmati Rice, 1 cup
- Sweetcorn Kernels, 1/3 cup
- Spring Onion, 1/3 cup
- Onion, 1 small
- Ginger Garlic Paste, ½ tsp
- Olive Oil, 2 tsp
- Pepper Powder, 1 tsp (or less)
- Salt, as required
- Water, 2 cups
How I made –
- Wash and soak the basmati rice in a cup of water for atleast 15-20 mins.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add finely chopped onion and fry until translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 30 secs.
- Add sweetcorn Kernels and finely chopped spring onion. Fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add a cup of water plus the water used to soak the rice.
- Add required salt and pepper powder.
- As the water comes to a boil, add the rice. Reduce the flame to low. Keep the pan covered with a lid and cook for 7-10 mins.
- The rice should look cooked enough and all water must be evaporated. Let it rest for 10mins before mixing it all together.
- Sprinkle some spring onion on top and serve hot.
- Instead of the onion, one can use the onions from the spring onion. Mine were too small so I chopped them off.
- Black or White pepper can be used as per preference. I used black pepper powder.
- Leave the rice untouched for 5-10 mins after removing it from heat. That helps the rice not from breaking while stirring.