Easy video recipe to make one of the easiest South Indian breakfast recipes – Aval Upma! Quick Poha Upma recipe South Indian style.
A few months back I made a mini-series on South Indian breakfast recipes and for someone who loves breakfast more than every other meal in a day, I had planned a few more recipes but didn’t get around posting for the lack of time. So I am going to amend that and here is one of the simplest breakfast recipes – Aval Upma. Aval/Poha is flattened rice. It is easy to cook, easy on the stomach and yet, it can be made very filling and it quite healthy as well. I made this Aval Upma South Indian style and it is a perfect mix of protein and carb, making it one of the best breakfast recipes.
For making this South Indian style Poha, Aval Upma I used medium- thickness Aval/Poha. It takes a few seconds to soak and just a few minutes to cook it. I kept the recipe very simple, based on stuff we like at home. Soaked aval/poha is tempered with spices and cooked with boiled potatoes and fresh green peas along with onions. It is very simple to make but is quite delicious. It doesn’t even need a side dish but I would really love a cup of hot coffee or adrak chai!
Watch this quick video recipe of Aval Upma on my YouTube channel and do subscribe to watch more recipe videos. If you have any suggestions for me, don’t hesitate to drop me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org 🙂
How to make Aval Upma | Poha Upma –
Detailed recipe of making Aval Upma | Poha Upma –
- Soak flattened rice in enough water and drain off immediately. Set it aside until needed.
- In a thick bottomed pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, dried red chillies and fry until golden brown.
- Fry cashews until golden brown and finally add asafoetida.
- Next add finely chopped green chilli, ginger and curry leaves. Fry for few seconds.
- Add finely chopped onions and fry until translucent. Next add green peas and boiled potatoes.
- Add salt as needed for veggies and also add turmeric powder.
- Cook for a few minutes and then add soaked, drained flattened rice.
- Add salt needed for aval/poha and mix well.
- Sprinkle some water and cook it closed for 3-4 mins.
- Squeeze half a lemon wedge, mix well and finally sprinkle fresh coriander leaves. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot immediately.
- Peanuts can also be used instead of cashews.
- Adjust spices as per preference.
- I cooked potatoes in microwave at high power for 4 mins in a microwave safe bowl with water partially soaking the potatoes. Let the potatoes stay in the bowl inside the microwave for another 5 mins, perfect boiled potatoes will be ready in minutes!
Reach out to me at email@example.com! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – Cookingfromheart
Instagram – Cookingfromheart
Twitter – Cookinfromheart