Warm gooey chocolaty dessert – Eggless Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding recipe! Make this rich chocolate dessert and serve with vanilla ice cream!
Christmas and winter season mean you get to enjoy all sorts of baked goodies! As I have been sharing Christmas baked goodies, this recipe of Eggless Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding comes in highly recommending from my family for anyone who loves dark ooey-gooey chocolaty desserts. At the every year, I make chocolate based desserts and baked goodies, this year too I thought of making a chocolate based cake or the masterchef famous brookie (brownie + cookie) but then as usual I let my instincts get the better of me and I ended up making self-saucing chocolate pudding that’s egg-free and so easy to make.
While I had been dreaming of warm chocolate-y goodness from this eggless self-saucing chocolate pudding with vanilla ice cream, I chose to incorporate some fresh cherries that I chanced upon. Although it is absolutely delicious as it is, adding a fruit (especially cherries) with chocolate turned out really good. The secret to making good chocolate-based desserts lie in choosing the right kind of cocoa powder. I have been using rich Dutch processed cocoa for all my desserts and it is making a ton of difference to the taste and texture of the chocolate desserts. It helps keep the rich chocolate flavor and results in good color too!
I served this Eggless Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding with Vanilla Ice Cream and it was a classic combination. The first time I heard of this dessert was when Matt from MasterChef AU made it in one of his master classes. I took note of the recipe and it has taken me almost 3years to make it at home. The self-saucing part of the dessert is made with a mix of cocoa powder + sugar + hot water and it is an interesting process. After the chocolate cake-like batter is poured into the baking dishes or ramekins, it is sprinkled with cocoa powder and sugar mixture and hot water is poured on top. As the pudding gets baked, this creates the thick chocolatey sauce and makes the dessert so delicious. Serve it warm with vanilla ice cream!
If you are looking for a bake-free version, check out this no bake chocolate pudding recipe!
How to make Eggless Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding –
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Eggless Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding –
- Grease the baking tray or individual ramekins with butter. Preheat the oven at 180°C for 15 mins.
- In a mixing bowl add all purpose flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt and sugar – mix everything together.
- Now add the wet ingredients – milk and butter, whisk into batter without any lumps. If you are using cherries, mix them in too.
- In another mixing bowl add cocoa powder and brown sugar, mix well and set aside.
- Scoop 1-2 tbsp of batter into the ramekins or pour over into the baking dish. Make sure the baking dishes are only filled to half.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of cocoa sugar mix in individual ramekins or sprinkle over entirely onto baking dish.
- Pour hot water on top. If using individual ramekins, pour equally in all bowls. Don’t mix it.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 mins until the center is gooey but the sides are firm.
- Serve hot or warm with vanilla ice cream on the side.
- For a sweeter cake, increase the sugar by 1/4 cup.
- For a saucier cake, add additional 1/4 cup hot water.
- If you continue to bake it even after 30 mins, the sauce will thicken up and it will be cake-like.
- Stores well in fridge for upto a week (without any fruit). You can reheat it in microwave for 20 secs before serving.
Reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – Cookingfromheart
Instagram – Cookingfromheart
Twitter – Cookinfromheart