I love soups. I think I have said this enough times on this blog. Give me a bowl of hot soup any time of the day, I will slurp it off in a minute. My love for soups was started by Amma, for she loves soups as much as I do. So, it happened that one day while TV I happened to look at a lady preparing soup. Having not tried soup making then, I wanted to try it out. If I remember correctly I was in 8th std. My version of soup had all the vegetables, chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. In short, I had made a mini sambar and yet Amma loved it. It was a little boost to my ego and from then on, my soup episodes continued. And then one day, I had this wild idea to make mushroom soup. Not knowingly exactly how to make it, I boiled the mushrooms and ground them. All of us hated the taste and till date, I dont order mushroom soup even in a restaurant. Ok. Enough of my soup stories from the past. Few months back, I had tasted broccoli soup in a restaurant and had loved it. Only wish they had given a little more than the couple of spoonfuls for the bomb they charged us. And thats when I thought I should try this at home. As usual, it turned out great and for a lot lot cheaper than at a restaurant.
What I used -
- Broccoli Florets and Stalks, 2 cups
- Onion, 1 medium finely chopped
- Olive Oil, 2 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper Powder, to taste (optional)
- Water, as required
- Toasted and Grated Almonds, 2tsp or more
How I made -
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Add chopped onions and fry until translucent.
- Add broccoli florets and stalks, fry for a couple of minutes. Add enough water until broccoli pieces are well immersed it water.
- Cook until Broccoli is cooked. Let it cool and then grind it into a fine paste. Add the ground paste back to the pan, add water if required. Add salt and bring it to just one boil. One can add milk as well, at this stage.
- Pour prepared soup into bowls and garnish with toasted almonds. Season it with pepper if required. I didnt add any, as I loved the plain taste.
[…] Cream of Broccoli Almond Soup […]
[…] would never know. I make soups quite regularly and my blog has a few of those collections – Cream of Broccoli Almond Soup, Golden Carrot Soup, Spring Onion Alfa Alfa Soup, Cream of Pumpkin Soup and French Onion Soup […]