We are already in the mid of May this year. Time seems to fly faster than ever and at times, we need to slow down just a little bit to enjoy simple joys of life. Like Chocolate. Like Cake. Like Chocolate Cake. And that’s why, I have for you something special today – Eggless Chocolate Beetroot Cake. To make it further awesome, I have a very simple yet extremely delicious Ganache using Cocoa Powder!
If you are someone like me who doesn’t enjoy beets or even if you are someone like my husband who enjoys beetroots immensely – this recipe is for you. The best part about adding a vegetable to your dessert is that it helps you slowly fall in love with it. Not only does the beetroot add a great color to the cake, it adds a nice texture too. The cake was perfect, especially to store in fridge for over a week without losing its moistness, all thanks to the beetroot.
After I was done with the baking of eggless chocolate beetroot cake, I wanted a little something to go on top. A cream frosting made no sense as the cake was so chocolaty. With some cream and cocoa powder, I whipped up a ganache that was both perfect as well as simple. It was rich, dark and delicious complimenting the cake really well. Do check out the other cake recipes on my blog.
How to make Eggless Chocolate Beetroot Cake with Cocoa Powder Ganache –
Detailed step by step picture tutorial of making Eggless Chocolate Beetroot Cake with Cocoa Powder Ganache –
To Make Eggless Chocolate Beetroot Cake –
1. In a bowl, add all-purpose flour followed by the baking powder.
2. Next add the baking soda.
3. Into it, add cocoa powder.
4. Sift all these ingredients until completely combined.
5. In another bowl, add powdered sugar followed by cooking oil.
6. Whisk it together until it is creamy.
7. Add thick curd/yogurt and whisk it well again. Add vanilla essence and mix through.
8. Mix the dry ingredients with wet ingredients and gently fold them in.
9. Finally add the finely grated beetroot and fold it in.
10. Pour into a lined baking dish (I used 9” inch springform cake tin).
11. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 35-40 mins or until a tester comes out clean.
12. Remove from oven and let the cake cool down for 5-10mins. Invert it onto a wire rack for further cooling down.
To make Cocoa Powder Chocolate Ganache –
1. In a bowl, add fresh milk cream.
2. Add sugar and mix it well.
3. Gently heat on low flame until the sugar melts and the cream begins to boil.
4. Next add the cocoa powder and quickly whisk it well so that there are no lumps.
5. As the sauce begins to thicken, remove from heat.
To assemble the cake –
1. On the cooled down cake, pour the cocoa powder ganache.
2. Using a spatula, gently spread the ganache so that it covers the top of the cake and is dripping from edges.
3. Decorate it with silver balls or chocolate shavings.
- Wait for the cake to completely cool down before cutting it. I made the mistake of cutting it in a hurry and that’s why it looks slightly dense.
- This cake is not overly sweet and 1 cup of powdered sugar is just enough sweetness. As ganache is poured on top, it is perfect. However, for people desiring a sweeter cake, add 1-2 tbsp extra sugar.
- It is essential to grate the beetroots as fine as possible so that it doesn’t impact the baking time.
- The curd has to be fresh and thick, not sour.
- The ganache is balanced with sugar and cocoa powder. For a sweeter version, add a tbsp. of extra sugar. For a bitter version, add a tbsp. of extra cocoa powder.
- Store the cake in an air tight container in the fridge for longer shelf life of upto a week. Reheat in microwave if the ganache on top is thick.
Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – CHCooks
Instagram – CHCooks
Twitter – Cookinfromheart