Frozen Yogurt had been on my to-do list forever. Inspite of being super easy to make, I had never tried it. Compared to the calorie rich ice creams, frozen yogurts are much better and as an after meal dessert – they taste so good. I am not so fond of yogurt or should I say I can’t have store bought curd. So I end up making butter milk or skip yogurt all together. To consume it in an interesting way, I wanted to try out frozen yogurt. Being the lover of coffee and chocolate, I decided to try out this combo for my frozen yogurt recipe. The slight bitterness from the coffee and tanginess from the yogurt go very well together. The addition of chocolate gives this recipe some sweetness as well as a good mocha flavor to the frozen yogurt. For my parents who are not big chocolate lovers, I topped it with some roasted nuts. Follow this recipe to make creamy, low calorie frozen yogurt recipe!
To make Coffee Chocolate Frozen Yogurt
What I used –
- Thick Yogurt, 2.5 cups
- Toned Milk, 1 cup + 1 tbsp
- Sugar, 1/3rd cup
- Corn Flour, 1 tbsp
- Instant Coffee Powder, 1.5 tsp
- Milk Chocolate Shavings, 3 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Roasted Nuts, 1 tbsp (optional)
How I made –
1. In a pot, bring 1 cup of milk to boil. Take a few tbsp of the milk and mix it with the corn flour without any lumps. Add this mixture to the boiling milk. Stir until the milk is glossy and thicker than before. Mix in the sugar. Let it cool completely.
2. In a muslin or thin cloth, strain the thick yogurt for at least 1 hour until all the water content comes out. (Hang the curd in the muslin cloth with a bowl below to collect all the extra water) The resultant yogurt is very creamy and thicker in consistency. To this, add 3 tsp of shaved milk chocolate. Mix well.
3. In a small bowl, take the coffee powder and mix it with 1 tbsp of milk. Add this to the cooled down milk and mix well.
4. Stir in the prepared coffee flavored milk and chocolate flavored yogurt. Mix well. Set it in an aluminum tin wrapped with cling film or an air tight container. Freeze for 2 hours. Remove it and hand beat or whip until creamy. Set it in deep freeze for another 2-4 hours.
5. Serve each scoop topped with additional chocolate shavings or roasted nuts like almonds and cashews.
- The longer the yogurt is strained and excessive water removed, the creamier the frozen yogurt.
- The milk cooked with corn flour gives a creamier texture.
- Adjust the sweetness by modifying the quantity of sugar.
- I used almonds and cashews to top the frozen yogurt. Additionally, milk chocolate shavings can be used too.
- Instead of chocolate shavings, choco chips or chunks could be used.
- After freezing the yogurt for 2 hours, hand beat it or whip to get a creamier froyo.