I have a love affair with baby corn, in fact corn too. I love love love baby corn and am always trying to b,uy bags of it. So I have made Baby Corn Jalfrezi, Chilli Baby Corn, Baby Corn Masala but I cant call myself a baby corn lover without having post the recipe of golden fried baby corn 🙂 And here it is!
After a lot of deep frying for making Diwali sweets and savories, I wanted to keep our diet clean for a bit but really couldn’t resist posting this crispy golden baby corn. My very first memory of having tried this dish at a restaurant was almost 7yrs ago, when I met up my college friends briefly after joining work. The golden fried baby corn that we ordered was just perfect and for the first time, I saw someone fry a full baby corn instead of cutting it all up in chunks.
The perfect taste of those fried baby corns stayed in my memory all these years and I had to give it a try, atleast now. However, after searching the lengths & breadths of the internet for a similar recipe from what I could remember, I was not convinced. I took the matters into my hands and after a lot of trial & error, perfected this recipe. It was such a hit, really. The husband who loves baby corn couldn’t just stop eating 😀 The batter is so versatile and ever since, I have been using it with a lot of other vegetables too.
How to make Golden Fried Baby Corn | Crispy Golden Baby Corn–
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Golden Fried Baby Corn | Crispy Golden Baby Corn –
Prep Work –
1. Remove the husk and wash baby corn well. In a microwave safe bowl, add baby corn along with some water and set on microwave high for 4-5 mins until the baby corn is tender. Drain the water and let the corn cool down.
How I made –
1. In a bowl, add all-purpose flour/maida, rice flour, corn flour, red chilli powder, garam masala powder & cooking soda – mix well. Add water little by little and make a batter that is of dripping consistency.
2. Meanwhile heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Once hot, set it on medium flame. Dip each baby corn in the batter and put it gently into the hot oil 2-3 at a time. Fry until golden brown on all sides and remove from oil, strain on a paper towel. Repeat this with rest of the baby corn.
3. Serve hot as a snack with a side of ketchup. Works best for any fried rice or noodles.
- Instead of using the full baby corn, chop it into bite sized pieces if desired.
- Adjust the spices as per preference.
- The cooking soda (baking soda) yields lightness to this dish and makes the fried baby corn crispy and light.
- Blanching or slightly boiling the baby corn before frying is recommended as I fried them whole and it could take longer to get cooked while frying.
- Make sure the oil is hot and then set it on medium flame. Don’t fry over low or very high flame.