Stepwise picture recipe to make instant whole wheat kulcha that requires no fermentation or waiting time. Make this quick, instant healthy wheat kulcha at home with this easy recipe.
So when I made the mushroom masala, I wanted something simple yet delicious to go with it. It has been a long time I posted an Indian bread and here I am with an easy and quick Kulcha recipe, Instant Whole Wheat Kulcha. Usually I don’t prefer eating these fermented, leavened breads in a restaurant as they tend to get stretchy as they cool down and on top of it, they are loaded with maida. So I prefer making these at home, where I am in control of the ingredients used.
Usually Kulcha/Naan recipe is made with yeast as the leavening agent however, that requires a couple of hours of resting period, waiting for the dough to rise. During these cold winter months it would be little difficult to get the yeast to work. This recipe is a perfect remedy for that. I have used baking powder and baking soda instead of yeast and without having to wait for the dough to rise, you can make Kulchas almost instantly.
This recipe works well with 100% all-purpose flour, that is if you are looking for restaurant style kulcha recipe. If you don’t want to compromise on the taste and yet want the kulcha to be little healthy, go for 50:50 all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. But if you are like me looking for healthy yet tasty option, make this 100% whole wheat kulcha and I am sure you will fall in love with it, for how soft and delicious it is.
I used yogurt as well as milk to make this dough and the whole wheat kulchas turn out very soft, remaining that way for more than 5-6hrs. While I made them almost plain with a sprinkle of onion seeds and fresh coriander, it is very easy to adapt this recipe for making garlic kulcha or masala kulcha. Pair it with any curry of your choice, say goodbye to greasy restaurant stuff and make your own at home! I served it with my restaurant style mushroom masala.
How to make Whole Wheat Kulcha | Instant Wheat Kulcha –
Detailed step by step picture recipe of making Whole Wheat Kulcha | Instant Wheat Kulcha –
1. In a mixing bowl add whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and thick curd. Mix well until it looks lumpy.
2. Add milk little by little as needed and begin to knead the dough.
3. When the dough comes together, add 1 tsp of oil and knead it well for 4-5 mins.
4. The dough should be soft and pliable. Set it aside for 15-20 mins.
5. Split the dough into equal sized balls.
6. Take a ball of dough and dust it in some flour, roll it into a circle.
7. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and onion seeds at the center. Gently press them well.
8. Roll into a circle of desired thickness. Repeat this with the rest of the dough.
9. Meanwhile heat a pan/tawa. Place the rolled Kulcha and cook it until bubble form on top.
10. Flip it over and brush with oil/brush.
11. Once both the sides have golden brown spots all over, remove it from heat. Repeat this with rest of the rolled Kulchas.
12. Serve hot with any curry/gravy of your choice.
- This recipe works with 100% maida or 50:50 maida and wheat flour too.
- If onion seeds are not available, white or black sesame seeds can be used.
- Cook the Kuclhas on low or medium flame to ensure they rise well.
- Keep them covered to retain the softness for long hous.
Reach out to me at email@example.com! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – CHCooks
Instagram – CHCooks
Twitter – Cookinfromheart