Arisi Upma is one of the very easy-peasy recipes that can be made quickly and effortlessly for dinner or breakfast. The recipe is very simple and is really flavorful. Mom prepares a different version of this which is popular in Andhra called as Pindi or Uppindi. This Arisi Upma is a tamil version of something similar and can be made with staple ingredients in every kitchen. Raw Rice, Toor Dal, Black Pepper, Cumin Seeds are the main ingredients. Addition of coconut & coconut oil makes this upma delicious. Serve it as it is or with a side of chutney!
For making the upma rava mix -
- Raw Rice - 1 cup
- Toor Dal - 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Black Peppercorns - 1 tsp
For seasoning and cooking -
- Coconut Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds- ½ tsp
- Urad Dal - 2 tsp
- Dried Red Chili - 1 or 2
- Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
- Asafoetida - ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves - as req.
- Water - 3 cups
- Salt - as req.
- Wash the rice, drain off excess water. Spread the washed rice on a kitchen towel and dry for 10-15 mins until there is no water.
- Meanwhile dry blend toor dal, cumin seeds, black peppercorns by pulsing in the mixer 2 or three times. Make sure to blend it into a coarse powder.
- Coarsely pulse the dried rice in the mixer 2 or 3 times. No need to sieve this mixture. The mixture can be stored for upto a month.
- In a thick bottomed pan, heat coconut oil. Add torn dried red chilies, mustard seeds, ural dal and fry until they are golden. Add asafoetida. Finally add curry leaves.
- Add water, grated coconut and salt as needed. Let it come to a slow boil.
- Now add the coarsely blended dal mix and stir without any lumps.
- As the water boils, slowly add the rice mix while stirring it quickly without any lumps.
- When the mixture comes together, keep it covered and cook on low flame for 15-20 mins. Let it sit for 10 mins before fluffing it up.
- Arisi Upma is ready to be served with any kid of chutney.
Leave a Comment