Sometimes I crave for spicy or crispy food just like I have my cravings for desserts – basically I am a foodie and I crave for good food all the time 😀 Taking health into consideration, deep fried or oily snacks are a NO-NO on a regular basis at our home. During one such evening when I was craving for something spicy, I quickly made these baked broccoli patties as an evening snack and it was much loved at home. Although potatoes are used in this recipe, boiled potatoes are not as bad as deep fried ones. Infact they have good source of carbohydrates that are essential for the body, when taken in limited quantities. Apart from following my regular recipe, I also added some rice flour to bind everything together and the patties were crisp on the outside, soft on the inside. Serve this with tomato ketchup or some mayonnaise, you will sure have a great snack!
To make Baked Broccoli Patties
What I used –
- Grated Broccoli, 1.5 cup
- Boiled & Mashed Potatoes, 1 cup
- Onion, 1 medium
- Garlic Pods, 4-5
- Paprika Powder/Kashmiri Chilli Powder, 1 tsp
- Chilli Flakes, 1 tsp
- Dried Italian Herbs, 1 tsp (Oregano, Parsley, Thyme and Basil)
- Salt, as required
- Rice Flour, 1.5 tbsp
- Water, a few tsp
- Oil, 1/2 tsp + 1 tsp
How I made –
1. In a pan, heat a tsp of oil and add finely chopped garlic. Fry for 20 secs. Add finely chopped onion and fry until translucent. Set aside.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, add grated Broccoli and a couple of tsp of water. Set on micro high for 2-3 mins. To this, add the boiled & mashed potato, fried onion garlic mix, paprika/chilli powder, red chilli flakes, dried Italian herbs, salt and rice flour.
3. Mix everything together and check for salt and spice. If the mixture is too thick/crumbly, add a tsp of water. Make equal sized balls and press each ball between your palms to form a patty. Make sure there are no cracks at the sides. Repeat this with the rest of the patty mix.
4. Preheat the oven at 180deg C for 10 mins. Line a baking tray with baking sheet and apply few drops of oil. Place the patties on the baking tray with few cm distance between them. Coat the top of the patties with some oil too.
5. Bake these in the oven at 180deg C for 7-10 mins on each side. Brush few drops of oil on each side if required. Both the sides must be golden brown and crispy. Remove them from the oven.
6. Serve hot immediately with tomato ketchup or mayonnaise on the side.
- Clean and wash the broccoli carefully for there can be insects between and inside the florets. You can blanch them in some salted water to get rid of additional dirt.
- Grate the broccoli finely. While microwaving the broccoli do not add too much water. We want an almost dry mix.
- Boil the potatoes either in a microwave or pressure cooker and remove all excess water. Mash them to a smooth paste.
- Rice flour is optional – it gives texture to the patty and adds to the crispness.
- The patties could be made on the stove top on a pan as well. Few more tsp of oil would be required. Alternatively, these can be deep fried as well.