I am a big fan of baked snacks, but tell me who isn’t?! When you get tasty stuff with low calories and zero guilt, you wouldn’t say no, would you? For months, I had been meaning to try out baked potato wedges. Since I don’t like deep fried stuff, this snack idea seemed apt. Only that every time I planned on making it, something or the other happened and I couldn’t try it at all. Given my reputation to once make baked zucchini chips in the oven and hardly having any success, S was not very keen either. So, I quietly pushed the idea to the back of my head.
Last week, when mom and I were discussing the events of the day she told me about the huge sweet potatoes she saw in one of the carts during her evening walk. The idea of baking them quickly spurred back in to my mind and I asked her pick some up for me on the next day. As luck would have it, the cart selling those sweet potatoes was not to be seen at all. My parents being parents (going any heights to do something for me), went looking for these sweet potatoes and brought home some sweet potatoes. Just as I was putting this idea out of my head, Amma showed me the sweet potatoes and I immediately set out to make the wedges. Phew! All this for a super simple dish.
I looked at a number of recipes to get to know the right temperature to bake the potatoes and for some flavor inspiration. At the end, I went ahead with my hunch and it turned out awesome. My sweet potatoes were coated with some olive oil, salt and paprika. I baked them for over 20 mins at 170°C and removed them just when they were starting to turn brown. As I wanted to make them cheesy, I made a simple sauce with cheesy garlic mayonnaise along with a few of dried herbs and tossed my baked sweet potato wedges in the sauce. It turned out to be one of the best snacks and I loved the sweetness of the sweet potatoes combined with the salty, spicy flavors. I am sure, this would be a regular snack at our home. Guess what, the next time I am going to save some plain wedges for me – they are so tasty as it is! 🙂
To make Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
What I used –
- Sweet Potatoes, 2-3 (medium to big ones)
- Olive Oil, 2 tsp
- Paprika Powder, 1 tsp + 1 tsp
- Onion, 1 small
- Cheesy Eggless Mayonnaise, 2 tbsp (any flavor)
- Dried Herbs (Oregano, Parsley, Basil and Thyme), ½ tsp
- Salt, as required
How I made –
1. First wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly to remove all the dirt. Peel off the skin and chop into wedges of desired size. In a bowl, add the chopped sweet potato wedges and toss them with olive oil, salt and 1 tsp of paprika powder. Let them sit for 5 mins.
2. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven at 170°C for 10 mins. Line a baking tray with baking sheet. Arrange these sweet potato wedges on the baking tray and make sure they are not overlapping each other. Bake them at 170°C for 10 mins and gently turn them over and continue baking for another 10-15 mins. When most of the sweet potatoes looks crisp and cooked, remove the tray from the oven.
3. In a bowl, add cheesy mayonnaise, finely chopped onion, dried herbs, paprika powder and mix well. Add these baked sweet potato wedges and toss them over until each piece is coated with the sauce.
4. Serve immediately!
- My sweet potatoes were local Indian variants and were cooked in about 20 mins at 170° These times and settings can differ based on the size of the wedges and the type of oven.
- Always keep an eye over the sweet potatoes while baking. They can turn black in just a couple of minutes.
- Preparing the sauce and tossing the baked wedges in it is optional. The baked wedges can be had as it is.
- If using the sauce, toss the sweet potato wedges only before serving as they can go soggy in some time.