Today I am posting one of the simplest desserts – beetroot halwa, one of my absolute favorites! It’s easy to make, low calorie and quite tasty too. As beetroot has natural sweetness, the amount of sugar required for the recipe is not too high. Growing up whenever I craved something sweet, amma would either make carrot or beetroot halwa depending on the ingredients at home. I love the consistency and the color of both these halwas. Carrot Halwa recipe is for some other day, today it’s beetroot halwa. This halwa stays good in refrigerator for 2-3 days – reheat it just before serving! A quick sweet recipe that can be made in less than 20 mins and can be a crowd pleaser too 🙂
To make Beetroot Halwa
What I used –
- Finely Grated Beetroot, 2 cups
- Milk, ½ cup
- Sugar, ¼th cup
- Ghee/Clarified Butter, 1 tsp
- Cashews, a few
How I made –
1. In a pan, heat ghee/clarified butter. Add cashews and fry until golden brown. Remove them on to a bowl. In the same pan, add finely grated beetroot. Stir-fry for 3-4 mins. Add ½ cup of milk and cook the beetroot until nicely cooked for about 6-8 mins. All the milk would be evaporated by now.
2. Add ¼th cup of sugar and mix well. It would leave some water and the consistency of the halwa turns watery. Keep cooking until almost all the water content is evaporated.
3. On continuously cooking the halwa, the ghee would be leaving from the sides and the beetroot would be very smooth/fine in the form of a halwa. Switch off the heat. Mix the cashews.
4. Serve hot immediately or serve chilled.
- I grated the beetroot very fine to have smooth halwa. It can be modified as per personal preference.
- The quantity of sugar can be adjusted as per sweet preferences.
- Additionally, ½ teaspoon of ghee can be added when the halwa comes together.
- Instead of milk, water can be used to cook beetroot too.
- Adding roasted cashews at the end ensures they stay crispy.
It may be simple but its delicious and healthy and earthy.. I love that earthy taste of beets.
Thanks Sri 🙂
Gorgeous colour 🙂
thanks a lot dear! 🙂
Freda @ Aromatic essence
delicious!!! love beetroot halwa 🙂
Thank you dear 🙂
Healthy and delicious 🙂 🙂
thanks Sabita 🙂
Traditionally Modern Food
Simple dessert arre always winner .beetroot halwa is one perfect example yum yum
Yes Vidya - thanks 🙂
Wow Yummy.. 🙂
Thanks Priti 🙂
Wow yummy looking halwa...
Thanks Chitra 🙂