I am an absolute fan of Indo-Chinese cuisine and the blog is a proof for my love for fried rice and noodles recipes. For today, I have a very simple Chilli Garlic Noodles recipe – this is something that we love for a quick lunch or dinner. This noodles recipe packs a punch with awesome garlic flavour and the kick of red chillies. I make my own paste of chillies and garlic that forms the base of the noodles. Not only does the noodles look vibrant with a lovely color, it is quite flavorsome too. I used medium spicy red chillies to make my paste but any bright colored less spicy chillies can be used as well. One of the stuff I missed the most while making this recipe last week was the spring onions. By mistake, I threw out a batch of spring onions and couldn’t find any in the market. Double sigh. Since I started the preparation and went ahead with my noodles. Inspite of missing the spring onions, the noodles tasted awesome. Pls free feel to add finely chopped spring onion to your noodles.
Check out my simple vegetables noodles recipe here.
To make Chilly Garlic Noodles
What I used –
- Cooked Noodles, 2 cups
- Finely Chopped Vegetables, 1 cup (Carrots, Beans and Cabbage)
- Onion, 1 large
- Dried Red Chillies, 5-6
- Garlic Pods, 8 + 5
- Soya Sauce, 1 tbsp
- Vinegar, ½ tbsp
- Salt, as required
- Oil, 1 tbsp
- Sugar, a generous pinch
- Spring Onions, few (optional)
How I made –
1. In a small bowl, soak the dried red chillies and 8 of peeled garlic pods in some water for 10 mins. Make a smooth paste of it in a blender after adding the vinegar. Set aside.
2. In a pan, heat oil. Add finely chopped garlic pods (5-6 of them) and fry for a min. Add finely chopped onions and fry until translucent. Add finely chopped vegetables. Add salt for the vegetables. Meanwhile, cook the noodles in lots of water with salt and few drops of oil. Strain the water and cool down the noodles.
3. To the pan of vegetables - once half done, add soya sauce and the prepared chilli garlic paste. Cook for 3-4 mins until the raw smell of garlic is gone. Check for salt and spiciness. Add the generous pinch of sugar. Add the cooked noodles and stir well.
4. Serve hot with chopped spring onion on top.
- I used local brand of noodles and cooked the noodles al-dente.
- The choice of vegetables is as per preference. I added carrots, beans and cabbage – finely chopped. Capsicum can be added as well.
- Adjust the quantity of red chillies as per preference.
- Instead of vinegar, lemon juice can be added too.
- Additionally, scrambled egg can be added to the noodles.