Chow Chow bath is a simple breakfast recipe very famous in Karnataka. Its a combination of a sweet and savory served in the same plate. The combination of white and yellow colors make it very attractive too.
1. For Sweet Kesari -
- Rava or Semolina (I used the fine variety) - 1 cup
- Sugar - 2 cups
- Water - 3 cups
- Ghee - 2-3 tablespoons
- Cashewnut, Kismis - as required
- Elachi powder - a pinch
- Food color of your choice - a pinch
2. For Savory - Upma
- Rava or Semolina - 1 cup
- Onions (finely chopped) - 1 no.
- Tomato (finely chopped)- 1 no.
- Green Chili - 1 no.
- Ginger - a cube
- Water - 3 cups
- Salt as required
- Oil - 2-3 teaspoons
- Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Ural dal - 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili - 1 no.
- Bengal gram - 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves as required
- The sweet and the savory can be prepared side by side and the recipe for sweet follows first.
- Take a thick bottom pan, heat ghee. Add Cashews, kismis and the rava. Fry until the rava is out of raw smell.
- Pour the water and bring the mixture to boil.
- Add sugar and mix well. At this stage, a teaspoon of ghee can be put in to add taste. Add the food color (I used yellow) and elachi powder.
- Remove from heat when the mixture is well cooked and looks shiny.
- For the upma recipe, take a thick bottomed pan, heat oil. Fry the rava until raw smell goes off. remove from heat.
- Heat oil. Add mustard seeds, red chilli, urad dal , bengal gram and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, quickly add th finely chopped ginger and green chilli.
- Add onions and saute until golden brown. Add tomatoes and fry until they are soft.
- Pour the water, add salt. When the water comes to boil, add the rava.
- Keep mixing it well enough to remove any lumps. Keep it on low heat for 10 minutes when all the water has been evaporated.
- Serve the 2 dishes together on the same plate. The upma tastes best with coconut chutney.
nice and colorful.. i was expecting u to add chow chow in the upma 😀
I tried this for breakfast today. It came out very well. Thanks for the recipe 😊
Thanks so much for the feedback 🙂