Yet another Indo-Chinese dish. It only seems right though, after posting Veg Fried Rice, I should write this super tasty side dish that became hugely popular on the very first trial. Few days back, I got a bottle of chilli sauce during one of our weekly shopping sessions. It’s not like I always buy my chilli sauce, I like making it at home – even though its quite rustic. For some reason, this bottle of chilli sauce called on to me (not literally :P) and I brought it home. On the label of this sauce was a quick recipe for Dragon Vegetable. Having already made Crispy Dragon Vegetable, I was intrigued by this super simple recipe. It was more like a gravy and seemed to sound perfect for a simple meal of Veg Fried Rice. Further, the recipe called for different vegetables and that was just perfect as well. The recipe takes less than 30 mins to put together, especially if using store bought chilli sauce. It turned out quite tasty – parts spicy, parts sweet with a lot of crunchy colorful vegetables. I know I am going to make this regularly in my kitchen, thus taking note of this recipe.
To make Dragon Vegetable | Chilly Dragon Vegetable Gravy
What I used –
- Onions Diced, 1 cup
- Carrots Diced, ½ cup
- French Beans Diced, ½ cup
- Cauliflower Florets, ½ cup
- Mushrooms Diced, ½ cup
- Green Capsicum Diced, ½ cup
- Spring Onions, a few strands
- Ginger Finely Chopped, 1 tbsp
- Garlic Finely Chopped, 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli Sauce, ½ cup
- Soy Sauce, 2 tbsp
- Roasted Sesame Seeds, 1 tbsp
- Corn Flour, 1 tbsp
- Salt, as required
- Sesame Oil, 1 tbsp
- Water, as required
How I made –
1. In a wok or thick bottomed pan, heat oil. Add finely chopped ginger and garlic. Fry for 10-20 secs. Add diced onions and fry until half done. Add diced carrots, french beans and cauliflower florets. Stir fry for 2-3 mins.
2. Add diced mushrooms and fry for 3-4 mins. Add julienned/diced capsicum – stir fry for a couple of minutes. Add red chilli sauce and soy sauce.
3. Cook it for a couple of minutes and add some water to immerse the vegetables. Add salt required for the gravy. Meanwhile mix corn flour with some water and make sure there are no lumps. When the gravy starts to boil, add corn flour water mixture and continue to cook the gravy at medium flame until it thickens and the gravy looks shiny. Sprinkle finely chopped spring onions and roasted sesame seeds on top. Remove from heat.
- Choice of vegetables is as per preference. Carrots, French Beans, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Bok Choy, Mushrooms and Capsicums of any color can be added.
- The red chilli sauce that I used is not overly spicy and hence used ½ cup of it. Adjust as per taste.
- For spicier version, chopped red chillies or pepper powder can be added.
- I roasted the sesame seeds slightly in the wok before starting to prepare the gravy.
- The vegetables should not be cooked well.. they should retain a little crunch.