Step-wise picture recipe to make easiest and extremely delicious Christmas special Eggless Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. These chocolate crinkle cookies are vegan and perfect for this Christmas!
So I am off work this week and the next, on a well-deserved break after running around the entire year endlessly. I am spending some time with my family to begin with and then plan on relaxing at home for ushering in the new year. While I so wanted to take a break from blogging, I also wanted to share a couple of Christmas recipes and the first one is Eggless Chocolate Crinkle Cookies.
I have been fascinated by Crinkle Cookies since a couple of years but never got around making them. This year I finally gave them a try and ended up making an eggless, vegan version that turned out so perfect. This is a recipe adapted from my eggless banana chocolate bread, I used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour, to turn these cookies slightly healthier. These Eggless Chocolate Crinkle Cookies were absolutely amazing, what with the snowy effect of sugar coating on top.
Eggless Chocolate Crinkle Cookies get their name from the fact they get crinkles while baking, resulting in a contrasting black and white combination. I used mashed banana in the place of eggs and of late, it has been my most favorite egg replacer. With rich cocoa powder and icing sugar on top, these were close to eggless brownies (no other better way to explain the flavor) and these chocolate crinkle cookies are crisp on the outside and soft, cake-like and fudgy on the inside.
The husband brought a batch of these vegan Christmas cookies to work and they apparently vanished in no time at all. Now whats more rewarding to the cook?! 🙂 It is absolutely optional to roll these in sugar powder but whats the fun in making Christmas cookies that don’t look Christmasy, is it?
How to make Eggless Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Eggless Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
1 cup = 250ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ cup Mashed Banana
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ cup Oil
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- pinch Aof Salt
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- In a bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt.
- Mix this well together without any lumps.
- In another bowl, mix banana mash along with oil, vanilla extract and sugar.
- Whisk this for 2-3 mins on hand until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture looks slightly pale.
- Add the flour mixture in batches of 2 tablespoon into the wet mixture and fold it gently. Don’t overmix it.
- When the dough comes together, wrap it in cling film and refrigerate it for atleast 2 hours.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the cookie dough and make a smooth ball of it.
- Repeat this with rest of the dough and line them on the baking tray.
- Now roll each ball of dough in a thick coating of powdered sugar.
- Place the rolled cookie balls on the baking tray atleast 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies on a preheated oven for 10-12 mins at 180°C. Remove them from oven.
- Store in an airtight container for upto a week.
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Eggless Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
1. In a bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt.
2. Mix this well together without any lumps.
3. In another bowl, mix banana mash along with oil, vanilla extract and sugar.
4. Whisk this for 2-3 mins on hand until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture looks slightly pale.
5. Add the flour mixture in small batches into the wet mixture and fold it gently. Don’t overmix it.
6. When the dough comes together, wrap it in cling film and refrigerate it for atleast 2 hours.
7. Using a spoon, scoop out the cookie dough and make a smooth ball of it.
8. Repeat this with rest of the dough and line them on the baking tray.
9. Now roll each ball of dough in a thick coating of powdered sugar.
10. Place the rolled cookie balls on the baking tray atleast 2 inches apart.
11. Bake the cookies on a preheated oven for 10-12 mins at 180°C. Remove them from oven.
12. Store in an airtight container for upto a week.
- I used ripe Robusta bananas to make the mash. The cookies are not very sweet in spite of being rolled in powdered sugar.
- Adjust the cookie baking time from 10-15 mins, not more than that as the cookies can go hard.
- If the cookie dough should be used immediately, freeze it for 30 mins. Alternatively, the dough can be rested upto 24hrs in the fridge.
I would be delighted to know if you have tried this recipe, don’t forget to share your feedback and comments below. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me! I am also available on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter 🙂
Love these beautifully crinkled cookies ! Thanks for sharing an eggless version !!
Thanks Megala 🙂
Congratulation, your blog has been nominated for NEPALIAUSTRALIAN’s Blog Award 2017.
Please click the link below for details.
Thanks so much M 🙂
Omg..love your photographic skills. And those chocolate crinkle cookies are so droolworthy. 🙂 Check out my new website https://greedyeats.com/ if you get a chance!
Thanks Neha! Will surely checkout your website 🙂
Thanks a lot!!!
These sound so wonderful and really worth a try. Thanks so much for sharing 🙂
Thanks Lynne 🙂