Yay its Friday! And I bring to you a super simple yet delicious dessert – Eggless Strawberry Lemon Curd Tart. As much as I love exploring cakes and cookies, I am just beginning to try other forms of baked desserts, like tarts and pies.
Often times we crave for desserts but are left with very few ingredients in our pantry. I am sure all of us must have gone through this situation at least once. So Lina from Lin’s recipes decided to throw in a challenge around the same theme. With just five common ingredients from our kitchen, we are to come up with a dish. Luckily my set of ingredients leaded me towards this dessert.
I used just five ingredients (apart from water) to create this amazing dessert. Yes, you read it right. Only five ingredients. The recipe might look intimidating or long but trust me, it is super simple. My five ingredients were – any berry, flour, sugar, lemon and butter. I had to carefully analyze the ingredients and come up with a recipe. I was oscillating between a cobbler, crumble, a tart and a pie. After a lot of thought, decided to keep it simple and choose a tart.
With strawberries in season currently, I tried out a couple of other strawberry recipes (coming up soon!) For some reason, I don’t like the taste of strawberries as much as their intoxicating fragrance. Yes, I find strawberry smell better than its taste. Especially since the strawberries that we get in India are quite sour, it doesn’t help much. However, isn’t a strawberry gorgeous to look at?! I love the contrasting colors and the tiny yellow dots that make this fruit pretty 🙂
Coming back to this recipe again, I have had to find a few alternatives since I was allowed to use only five ingredients but the result was simply out of the world. The husband who tried it out didn’t believe it when I said I used only five ingredients. I have given out some replacements in the place of water or flour and some additions too in the notes section below.
Here is the recipe for Eggless Strawberry Lemon Curd Tart –
Detailed step-by-step picture tutorial on how to make Eggless Strawberry Lemon Curd Tart
Eggless Lemon Curd:
1. In a pan, add 1.5 tsp of all-purpose flour and add water.
2. Mix well until there are no lumps. Add lemon zest too.
3. Heat this on low flame until it thickens and comes together.
4. Add sugar and butter, stir it well until sugar dissolves.
5. Let the mixture come to a boil on low heat.
6. On low flame, keep boiling this until it thickens.
7. As it comes together and thickens well, remove from heat. Once it cools down, add lemon juice and refrigerate for 20-30 mins. It thickens and gets to the curd consistency.
Eggless Tart Crust:
1. In a bowl, add 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
2. Chop up the cold butter and add it to the flour. Add sugar as well.
3. Mix everything well until the mixture is crumbly or sandy using finger tips. When the dough is held tightly, it should form a lump easily.
4. Add cold water little by little and knead the dough together.
5. If required add 1-2 tsp of additional water and knead the dough soft and pliable. Set this aside to chill in the fridge for 10-20 mins wrapped in a cling film.
6. Meanwhile preheat the oven at 170°C for 10-15 mins. Grease the tart tin with some butter.
7. Remove the dough from cling wrap and flatten it out slightly. Dust extra flour if the dough is sticky.
8. Roll it into a circle of about 1/8th inch in thickness.
9. Carefully place it on the tart tin and gently press it.
10. Cut off the extra dough from the edges and smoothen it out.
11. Prick the tart shell base all over using a fork so that it wouldn’t bulge while baking.
12. Place a parchment paper on the tart shell and pour either rice/beans/baking beans (for blind baking) Bake the tart crust in the oven at 170°C for 10-15 mins until the edges and sides are golden brown. Let it cool down completely.
1. In a bowl, add sugar and water. Mix well.
2. Heat it on low flame until the sugar syrup boils and thickens.
3. Add chopped strawberries and remove from heat. As the syrup coats the strawberries, remove them out.
Assembling the Strawberry Lemon Curd Tart:
1. On the cooled down tart crust, add the lemon curd and even it out.
2. Arrange the glazed strawberries in any desired order.
3. Serve chilled.
- For making lemon curd, use corn flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- If desired, 1-2 tbsp of condensed milk can be added if the lemons are too sour.
- For making eggless tart crust, use cold butter and cold milk/water.
- Double up the butter to get flaky melt in mouth pastry and reduce the water accordingly.
- Use cold milk instead of ice cold water. Gives a good flavor to the tart shell.
- Add a pinch of salt to the tart shell, helps bring out the sweetness of the tart.
- Oven temperatures vary for different brands. Keep a close eye on the tart while baking.
- Blind baking (with a parchment paper filled with rice) helps in keeping the tart from becoming too hard and bakes evenly.
- It is optional to sugar glaze the strawberries. If the strawberries are sweet, skip the process.