Easy, quick and delicious Elaneer Payasam – Tender Coconut Kheer with step-wise pictures! Try this simple summer dessert to beat the heat.
Here is a quick and easy summer dessert that is lip-smacking delicious – Elaneer Payasam. This south Indian dessert is made from tender coconut flesh and water, very different from most of the other payasam or kheer recipes. It is light and refreshing, having made from very few ingredients that are available in anyone’s fridge. Tender Coconut as nature’s bounty has a lot of health benefits, it is a natural coolant apart from re-hydrating one’s body with rich nutrients. This Elaneer Payasam or Tender Coconut Kheer is a summer indulgence to enjoy once in a while 🙂 Checkout Nungu Payasam - Ice Apple Kheer recipe, yet another delicious summer dessert!
This Elaneer Payasam recipe was inspired by my dear friend Srividhya – vidhyashomecooking. When I saw her post the Elaneer Payasam recipe, I knew I just had to try this season no matter what. I modified the recipe based on what I had in my kitchen. I also had not so tender coconut to be honest, so I used a fair bit of tender coconut flesh as well and to give some body to the payasam, I added fresh milk. If you want to make this vegan, just skip regular milk and add only coconut milk. This Ilaneer Payasam is mildly sweet and best served chilled.
How to make Elaneer Payasam | Tender Coconut Payasam
Elaneer Payasam | Tender Coconut Payasam
1 cup = 250ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- 2 cups Milk
- ⅓ cup Tender Coconut Flesh
- ½ cup Tender Coconut Water
- ¼ cup Thick Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Condensed Milk
- ¼ teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- Few Almonds to Garnish
- Bring milk to a boil in a pot.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tender coconut flesh – remove any brown bits. Add it to a blender jar and add tender coconut water. Pulse it a few times and grind the mixture coarsely.
- Add sugar to the milk and mix it well. Next add condensed milk and mix it too.
- Add cardamom powder and remove the milk from heat.
- Once cooled down, add thick coconut milk.
- Finally add the ground tender coconut flesh. Mix well.
- Keep the Elaneer Payasam chilled until ready to serve. Garnish with almonds.
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Elaneer Payasam | Tender Coconut Payasam
1. Bring milk to a boil in a pot.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the tender coconut flesh – remove any brown bits. Add it to a blender jar and add tender coconut water.
3. Pulse it a few times and grind the mixture coarsely.
4. Add sugar to the milk and mix it well.
5. Next add condensed milk and mix it too.
6. Add cardamom powder and remove the milk from heat.
7. Once cooled down, add thick coconut milk.
8. Finally add the ground tender coconut flesh. Mix well.
9. Keep the Tender Coconut Payasam chilled until ready to serve.
10. Garnish with almonds and serve chilled.
- Adjust sugar quantity as per sweetness desired.
- It is optimal to choose tender coconut that has soft/thin flesh for best results.
I would be delighted to know if you have tried this recipe, don’t forget to share your feedback and comments below. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me! I am also available on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter 🙂