My pasta maker machine is one of the best buys in the recent times. Would you believe me if I said that I have completely stopped buying packaged pasta and have been making my own ever since we got this little machine home?! Yes, it is true. It has been a year I have only been making fresh pasta. Not a single time did the pasta machine or my fool proof three ingredient pasta recipe fail me. With my eggless simple pasta recipe, making pasta at home has been a breeze.
I would be lying however if I say that I don’t miss the pretty shaped pastas like Penne or Fusilli. Again, that didn’t stop me from trying out a simple solution at home. I knew for sure that Penne or Fusilli is impossible to make at home. But Farfalle or Bow Tie Pasta is not that difficult and with little practice, anyone can master it. This is my very first attempt of making Farfalle at home. I know they are not perfect but the satisfaction of making everything from scratch is precious.
I had prepared two versions of sauces to go with Farfalle. One is tomato based and the other one is this creamy peas and chives sauce. Both the recipes turned out great – no doubt about it. It all came down to the pictures – the lighting was pretty bad when I made the red sauce and the pictures were not good. So, that recipe is saved for some other day. But then, I am not 100% satisfied with the current pictures too. On some days, the camera doesn’t seem to listen to you at all. Sigh.
Chives are very hard to find where I live and once I saw them in the market, I grabbed them instantly. I love garlic and then, chives were a completely different league. The flavor was a bit intense even for the garlic lover in me. However with the fresh green peas and a low calorie creamy cheese sauce – the pasta was just delightful.
To make Farfalle with Creamy Peas and Chives Sauce | Home-made Farfalle Recipe
What I used –
For the Farfalle Pasta –
- Fine Semolina, 1 cup
- Water, ¼ cup (more or less)
- Oil, ½ tsp
- Water, as needed to boil the pasta
- Salt, as needed
For the Creamy Green Peas and Chives Sauce –
- Milk, 5 cups
- All Purpose Flour, 5 tbsp
- Cheese, 2 tbsp
- Black/White Pepper Powder, ½ tsp
- Green Peas, ½ cup
- Chives Chopped, 2 tbsp
- Garlic Finely Chopped, 1 tsbp
- Olive Oil/Butter, 2 tsp
- Salt, as needed
Prep Work –
1. Prepare the pasta dough by adding the fine semolina/rava in a wide bowl. Make a well in the center and add water little by little. Knead into a smooth, firm ball of dough. Add a few drops of oil and knead again for 4-5 mins until soft. Set aside for 20 mins to rest.
2. Mix the all-purpose flour in few tbsp. of milk and set aside. This helps in making the white creamy sauce easily.
How I made –
1. Divide the pasta dough into 4 equal parts. Dust each ball of dough with some flour and make it flat using your hands. Run this dough in the pasta machine, starting with the largest width (with largest number on the adjustment knob) moving into the smallest width eventually. When the pasta rolling is done, there should be a thin rectangular sheet of dough. Repeat the same with the other parts of the dough too.
2. Now cut the sheet of dough vertically and in turn cut into smaller rectangles so that the rectangles are an inch long. Repeat this process with the other rolled sheets. Either a sharp knife or cookie roller can be used for this process. Take a small rectangle and press down the middle of it by bringing both the ends together so that it resembles a bow tie. Repeat this with rest of the rectangles. The prepared Farfalle pasta can be let to dry/prepared in advance.
3. Meanwhile, to prepare the creamy sauce – heat milk in a pan. As the milk comes to boil, reduce the flame and add the prepared mixture of all-purpose flour and milk. The milk starts to thicken. When it begins to coat the spatula, add grated cheese, salt and pepper powder. Mix well and remove from heat. Our creamy white sauce is done.
4. In another pan, heat olive oil/butter. Add finely chopped garlic and fry until slightly golden. Add fresh green peas and toss around for a couple of minutes. Add the prepared creamy white sauce, finely chopped chives and mix well. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. To cook the pasta, bring a large pot of water to boil. Add ½ teaspoon of oil and lots of salt. Drop the prepared Farfalle pasta and boil for 2-3 mins/until the pasta start to float on top. Remove from the water and drop them into the sauce. Toss gently.
6. Serve hot with grated cheese or chopped chives on top.
- My recipe for the pasta dough from scratch is same for all pasta recipes.
- Even if there is no pasta maker, roll the pasta sheet very thin and use the process described above to make the Farfalle.
- This is not a traditional white sauce/bechmal sauce recipe but rather easy one. With this method, there is no chance of lumps being formed.
- Adding grated cheese to the sauce is optional but adds to the taste.
- If chives are not available, spring onion can be used. Additionally sweetcorn or mushrooms can be used.
- Don’t over cook the pasta. Fresh homemade pasta takes only a couple of minutes to cook. Keep an eye on the pasta being cooked.
- The pasta can be rolled out in advance and cooked when needed.
Taking this to Fiesta Friday #133.