Make Instant Fresh Turmeric Pickle this winter season with this detailed recipe with step-wise pictures. Fresh Turmeric Mango Ginger Pickle recipe – Kachi Haldi Ka Achar recipe!
Winters are great for fresh food produce and as I mentioned in my Turmeric Latte recipe post, I look forward to the winter season all through the year. One of the seasonal specialties is Fresh Turmeric. Turmeric is quintessential to Indian cuisine, there is no doubt about it. But not many of us use fresh turmeric on a regular basis. Fresh Turmeric is rich in curcumin – let us look at some of the benefits of it.
Benefits of Curcumin in Fresh Turmeric –
- Curcumin is a bioactive compound with rich medicinal properties and acts as a natural anti-inflammatory agent.
- It increases the antioxidant capacity of your body.
- It boosts brain-derived neurotrophic factor, increases brain function and lowers the risk the brain related diseases.
- It lowers the risk of heart diseases.
- It helps in treating and preventing cancer.
- It helps in treating and preventing Alzheimer’s disease.
- Due to its rich antioxidant properties, it aids in arthritis.
- It helps in reducing depression.
- It can also help in fighting age-related chronic disorders.
Mango Ginger (known as Maa Inji in Tamil or Maamidi Allam in Telugu) is White Turmeric. It has lower curcumin, that’s why it is whiter in color compared to the yellow turmeric. It also has a very distinct mango flavor and a slight bitterness to it. It is also highly medicinal in nature, just like the yellow turmeric.
Benefits of White Turmeric/ Mango Ginger –
- It helps in reducing gastrointestinal track problems and aids in better digestion.
- It can reduce inflammation, useful for those suffering from Arthritis.
- It strengthens respiratory system.
- It is rich in antioxidants.
Making this instant fresh turmeric pickle is one of the easiest and best ways to consume both yellow and white turmeric. My recipe for fresh turmeric pickle is no different from the hundreds available on the internet. In fact this requires no recipe at all, as it is very simple. It only uses very few ingredients – fresh turmeric (both yellow and white), salt, green chillies and lemon juice. It stays fresh in the fridge for upto a few weeks and outside for a week at least. We have been enjoying it with rotis, parathas and rice! Check out South Indian style recipe of Mango Ginger Pickle.
How to make Fresh Turmeric Pickle | Kachi Haldi Ka Achar –
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Fresh Turmeric Pickle | Kachi Haldi Ka Achar –
Wash both the yellow and white turmeric thoroughly until all the dirt is removed. Peel off the skin.
Chop into thin slices/juliennes of equal size.
Add the chopped turmeric pieces into a clean, dry glass bowl. Add finely chopped green chillies, salt.
Next add fresh lemon juice.
Mix well and make sure lemon juice covers the pieces. Keep it closed and rest for two days. You can also place the bowl covered with a muslin cloth in sunlight.
Store the pickle in clean and dry glass or ceramic jars. Use a dry spoon to serve the pickle. Store in fridge for upto 3-4 weeks.
- Fresh turmeric can stain your hands, so wear gloves if you are worried about the stains.
- In the same recipe, you can also use 1/4 part of fresh ginger too.
Reach out to me at email@example.com! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – Cookingfromheart
Instagram – Cookingfromheart
Twitter – Cookinfromheart