Quick delicious and a very filling South Indian breakfast Ghee Sambar Idli, a Hotel style recipe that can be made right at home! Pillowy soft Idlis dunked in tasty Tiffin Sambar topped with ghee!
It’s no wonder that I am a breakfast person, I love breakfast the most of all the meals in a day. During the weekdays, we are always rushing in the morning and I end up making either idli or dosa. I always have a big batch of idli and dosa batter stocked in the fridge that it becomes really easy to make quick breakfast or dinner during busy work days. But then, this recipe of Ghee Sambar Idli is the proof that you can even take something as simple as idli can be turned amazing!
Imagine soft pillowy idlis soaking in a pool of piping hot tiffin sambar, drizzled with fresh homemade ghee – that’s one of the most delicious things yet simplest of the things you can have for breakfast. I tried this Hotel Style Sambar Idli recipe where finely chopped raw onions are sprinkled on top along with ghee and finely chopped coriander leaves.
Usually you order this Sambar Idli in a restaurant, you get mini idlis dunked in sambar. In fact Saravana Bhavan has 14 Idli Sambar on their menu – with 14 mini idlis in a bowl of their specialty Sambar.
When I wanted to make this Sambar Idli at home, I used a different kind of Idli maker – the one that my mother-in-law gifted me. The idli maker in itself is really small and cute and makes small idlis, perfect for a snack or a quick breakfast or dinner.
This Ghee Sambar Idli recipe is not a recipe as such, because all it takes is arranging everything in a bowl or plate but check below on how to make it at home.
How to make Ghee Sambar Idli | Hotel Style Sambar Idli
Ghee Sambar Idli | Hotel Style Sambar Idli
1 cup = 250ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- 8 Small Idlis
- 3-4 cups Tiffin Sambar
- 2 teaspoon Ghee
- 2 tablespoon Finely Chopped Onions
- 2 tablespoon Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Prepare Idlis by following this recipe and remove them onto a serving bowl.
- Prepare Tiffin Sambar as per this recipe and heat it, top off with fresh coriander leaves.
- Set both the idlis and tiffin sambar for serving.
- Pour hot sambar on top of idlis, top off with 1 teaspoon of ghee and sprinkle fresh coriander leaves and finely chopped onions on top.
- Serve immediately with the side of a good filter coffee or ginger tea!
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Ghee Sambar Idli | Hotel Style Sambar Idli
1. Prepare Idlis by following this recipe and remove them onto a serving bowl.
2. Prepare Tiffin Sambar as per this recipe and heat it, top off with fresh coriander leaves.
3. Set both the idlis and tiffin sambar for serving.
4. Pour hot sambar on top of idlis.
4. Top off with 1 teaspoon of ghee and sprinkle fresh coriander leaves and finely chopped onions on top.
5. Serve immediately with coconut chutney and a side of a good filter coffee or ginger tea!
- The idlis should be soft and hot, to absorb the sambar well.
- Raw onions are optional but recommended for a good crunch.