A very easy simple recipe to make homemade pizza sauce recipe with step-wise pictures! This basic tomato- based sauce works great as both pizza and pasta sauce.
I have a very simple recipe to share today – Homemade Pizza Sauce! I usually make a small batch of tomato based sauce that works great for both homemade pizzas as well as pastas. It requires very little effort to make this pizza sauce from scratch and it is so much better than the store-bought bottled stuff. I follow a few hacks to make my life easier in the kitchen and one of the mantras I follow is – you don’t have to sweat out a lot to make healthy meals at home. While this homemade pizza sauce uses packaged tomato puree, this is still far best compared to preservative laden stuff off the supermarket racks.
With this homemade pizza sauce recipe, I twist and tweak it a bit everytime I make depending on my mood. And never once did I think about documenting it here as I usually follow my instincts when it comes to this versatile pizza/pasta sauce. But as I was making some pizza last week, I decided that it is high time I wrote about this recipe, atleast for the sake of posterity and here I am. It has very basic ingredients and it is so easy to make at home. Once a batch is made, churning out those pizzas and pastas at home is quite simple 🙂
I usually use the same recipe of my pizza sauce to use for my pasta as well, especially for making vegetable spaghetti – it needs a little thinning down, that’s all. Depending on how tangy, spicy or sweet the sauce needs to be, adjust the amount of tomato puree and the quantity of onions. Whenever possible, I use fresh herbs but it is quite alright to use dried herbs too! For a chunkier version of the sauce, I add more onions at times and for a garlicky version, I add a lot chopped garlic. In an airtight glass jar, this homemade pizza sauce stays good for upto a week or 10 days!
Check out other homemade pizza and pasta recipes below –
How to make Homemade Pizza Sauce | How to make Pizza Pasta Sauce –
Homemade Pizza Sauce | How to make Pizza Pasta Sauce
Measurements1 cup = 250ml, 1 tbsp = 15ml, 1 tsp = 5ml
- 1 cup Tomato Puree
- 1/4 cup Finely Chopped Onions (1 Small Onion)
- 10-12 Garlic Pods
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dried Red Chilli Flakes
- 3/4 tsp Mixed Dried Italian Herbs (Oregano, Thyme, Parsley & Basil)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt as needed
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Add finely chopped garlic and fry for a few seconds. Next add finely chopped onions and fry until translucent.
- Add tomato puree and cook for a 3-4 mins on low flame.
- Next add fresh cracked black pepper and dried red chilli flakes along with salt and sugar, mix well.
- Keep it closed and let it cook on low flame for 6 -7 mins. As the oil begins to ooze out of the edges, add mixed Italian herbs and mix well.
- Once cooled down, store into an airtight glass jar. Refrigerate until needed.
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Homemade Pizza Sauce | How to make Pizza Pasta Sauce –
1. In a pan, heat olive oil. Add finely chopped garlic and fry for a few seconds. Next add finely chopped onions and fry until translucent.
2. Add tomato puree and cook for a 3-4 mins on low flame.
3. Next add fresh cracked black pepper and dried red chilli flakes along with sugar and salt as needed.
4. Keep it closed and let it cook on low flame for 6 -7 mins. As the oil begins to ooze out of the edges, add mixed Italian herbs and mix well.
5. Once cooled down, store into an airtight glass jar. Refrigerate until needed.
- Adjust spices as per preference.
- To make tomato puree at home, blanch the tomatoes. Peel off the skin and puree them. When homemade tomato puree is used, takes a little longer to make the sauce.
- Adjust the final consistency of the sauce depending on whether it is for pizza (thick) or pasta (a bit thin)
Reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – Cookingfromheart
Instagram – Cookingfromheart
Twitter – Cookinfromheart