Quick, delicious, light and super flavorful Lemon Sevai recipe with step-wise pictures. Serve it as a bright breakfast or as a light lunch, it’s perfect!
Sevai or Idiyappam is one of the healthy breakfast recipes from South India – Tamilnadu to be precise. Rice flour is cooked with hot water, pressed into string hoppers and then steamed – that’s Idiyappam. It is light and really healthy, as there is no fat or gluten. As it is a bit time consuming, it is a delicacy that I try only during weekends. Traditionally, Idiyappam or Sevai is served with sweetened coconut milk, vegetable kurma, vegetable stew or even egg stew! Idiyappam or Sevai is versatile, in case if you don’t want anything elaborate, the best thing is to temper it and add flavors as needed. Lemon Sevai is one such simple recipe.
While making Sevai or Idiyappam from scratch is always for the best, sometimes it is convenient to make semi-homemade meals. There are a lot of brands that sell instant rice sevai and all you have to do is soak it in hot water – it is ready. If you are pressed for time, it sure comes in handy. I usually steam cook the sevai after removing the water which makes it really soft. It is then super simple to make Lemon Sevai in a jiffy. It doesn’t even need any side dish and can be served as a light breakfast or dinner. There are different versions of Lemon Sevai recipe and this is how we make it at home. You can replace cashews with peanuts or add fresh green peas or boiled chickpeas too!
How to make Lemon Sevai | Lemon Idiyappam
Lemon Sevai | Lemon Idiyappam
1 cup = 250ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- 4 cups Cooked Sevai/Rice String Hoppers
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice adjust as needed
- 7-8 Whole Cashews
- 2 teaspoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal
- 1 teaspoon Chana Dal
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1-2 Green Chilli Chopped
- Generous Pinch of Asafoetida
- Few Curry Leaves
- Salt as needed
- Make Idiyappam from scratch or follow the instructions on the instant rice sevai pack. Let the cooked idiyappam or sevai cool down completely.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal. After a few seconds, add cashews.
- As they turn golden brown, add fresh curry leaves, chopped green chillies.
- Add turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt as needed.
- Next add cooked sevai and mix well.
- Remove from heat and then add lemon juice. Mix well so that the flavors are incorporated well.
- Serve immediately with a side of coconut chutney, fresh filter coffee on the side.
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Lemon Sevai | Lemon Idiyappam
1. Make Idiyappam from scratch or follow the instructions on the instant rice sevai pack. Let the cooked idiyappam or sevai cool down completely.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal. After a few seconds, add cashews.
3. As they turn golden brown, add fresh curry leaves, chopped green chillies.
4. Add turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt as needed.
5. Next add cooked sevai and mix well.
6. Remove from heat and then add lemon juice. Mix well so that the flavors are incorporated well.
7. Serve immediately with a side of coconut chutney, fresh filter coffee on the side.
- If using store-bought sevai, after soaking and draining it steam it for 5 mins for softer sevai.
- Adjust the amount of lemon juice as per the tanginess preferred.
- Don’t add more than ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder as the color enhances as the flavors are absorbed.
I would be delighted to know if you have tried this recipe, don’t forget to share your feedback and comments below. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me! I am also available on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter 🙂
I generally prefer sweet foods at breakfast, but I can see myself devouring this dish at lunchtime. Rice noodles and cashews are some of my favorite ingredients in any dish!
I am sure you would love it 🙂
Life Diet Health
What a beautiful sounding dish Ramya! I love that this is a breakfast option too - I wish I could make idiyappam, you make it sound very easy! ... maybe I should try! 😀 Thank you for linking up and sharing this lovely meal with us at Fiesta Friday this week. Enjoy the Fiesta!
Thanks so much Laurena 🙂 Wish I could make this for you!
Life Diet Health
Me too Ramya! 😀