Hot & comforting Manjal Milagu Paal recipe with step-wise pictures. Boost your immunity, fight cold this winter with Fresh Turmeric Latte or Golden Milk!
I simply love winters for the fresh produce and the cool nip in the air. Every season has its perks and it is nature’s way to ensure that we stay fit & healthy by consuming the seasonal produce. With globalization, advancements in agriculture and constantly growing demand, the term seasonal produce is fast declining. We are getting watermelons and lemons all through the year. What happens when we consume something that is not seasonal? Our body reacts differently, and we must have counter-measures in place to negate the bad effects. Why go through all this trouble? As much as possible, stick to seasonal produce. Anyway, I digress.
Today’s recipe is a winter specialty – Manjal Milagu Paal, made with fresh turmeric roots and fresh ground peppercorns. It is also known as Turmeric Latte or Golden Milk. The world woke up to the many health benefits of turmeric all of a sudden, a few years back and hence the fancy names for something as simple and common as Manjal Paal, a winter staple in India. Fresh turmeric helps in boosting immunity, fighting common cold, aids in digestion, has great anti-inflammatory properties, makes your skin glow, purifies blood and helps in maintaining blood sugar too. In the cold winters, it helps in keeping the body warm, making it a perfect winter food.
Using peppercorns along with fresh turmeric helps in better absorption by the human body and that’s why our elders always used a combination of turmeric and pepper in making Manjal Milagu Paal. It is very comforting to sip on this turmeric latte or golden milk on a cold winter day! It helps in relieving sore throat as there is no sugar used in this recipe. Known as Haldi Doodh in the North India, it can be sweetened using honey or palm jaggery or regular jaggery. I prefer plain turmeric milk, without any added sweeteners. If you cant find fresh turmeric root, you can use organic turmeric powder too. Check out other beverage recipes, healthy recipes and food as medicine recipes!
How to make Manjal Milagu Paal | Turmeric Latte | Golden Milk
Manjal Milagu Paal | Turmeric Latte | Golden Milk
Measurements1 cup = 250ml, 1 tbsp = 15ml, 1 tsp = 5ml
- 1.5 tsp Grated Fresh Turmeric Root
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1.5 cups Milk boiled, cooled down
- 1 tbsp Honey
- In a small mortar-pestle, pound black peppercorns and cardamom until they are coarsely powdered.
- Add grated fresh turmeric to half cup water and bring it to a slow boil.
- Now add the ground peppercorns and cardamom powder and mix well.
- As the water begins to boil, add milk. Mix well and continue cooking on low flame.
- As the milk begins to boil and turns frothy, remove from heat.
- Add honey or palm sugar as per taste and mix well.
- Filter onto serving glasses and serve hot/warm.
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Manjal Milagu Paal | Turmeric Latte | Golden Milk –
In a small mortar-pestle, pound black peppercorns and cardamom until they are coarsely powdered.
Add grated fresh turmeric to half cup water and bring it to a slow boil.
Now add the ground peppercorns and cardamom powder and mix well.
As the water begins to boil, add milk.
Mix well and continue cooking on low flame.
As the milk begins to boil and turns frothy, remove from heat.
Add honey or palm sugar as per taste and mix well.
Filter onto serving glasses and serve hot/warm.
- If fresh turmeric root is not available, use 1/2 tsp of organic turmeric powder.
- Adjust the quantity of honey as per sweet preference. You can completely skip it for a healthier version too.