Ugadi, the Telugu New Year is just around the corner. I have big plans this year to make it special with some Pulihora and Paramannam among other delicacies but for the blog, I decided to post a simple yet delicious sweet recipe called Sheer Khurma. For the starters, it looks quite similar to Semiya Payasam which is our absolute favorite at home.
Although the ingredients for this Sheer Khurma are much like a Payasam, this is such a rich version it. Sheer Khurma or Sheer Korma is made with milk and a lot of dry fruits that include dried dates, pistachios, almonds, cashews, raisins and chironji. Rose flavor is a must in any Mughalai influenced dessert and this is no different. No Indian dessert is complete without cardamom powder, which takes this Sheer Khurma to such high levels of fragrance.
Sheer Khurma is usually made for Eid or Ramzan but is apt for any celebration. The husband who loves a good payasam had been asking me to make this rich version of Semiya Payasam and I had to oblige. Usually chironji is not added to the regular kheer but in Sheer Khurma, it adds to the richness of the dessert. Serve it hot or cold, you will have a winner of a dish for sure!
How to make Sheer Khurma –
How I made –
- In a thick bottomed pan, heat 1 tbsp of ghee. Fry chopped dry fruits of almonds, cashews, pistachios and chironji. Once golden, add raisins and remove them from the heat. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add vermicelli and roast until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, bring milk to boil. Once boiled, add ¼ cup of it to chopped dates and set aside.
- Add remaining milk to the roasted vermicelli and cook it on low heat until the vermicelli is soft.
- Add sugar and mix it well. Keep the flame low and ensure that the milk doesn’t curdle.
- Add the dates soaked in milk and mix it well.
- Roughly crush the cardamoms and add the powdered cardamoms to the pan along with rose essence. Mix well.
- Finally add all the roasted dry fruits and remove from heat.
- Serve hot, warm or cold with additional dry fruits or saffron strands.
- Adjust sugar quantity as per sweet preference.
- As dates are soaked in milk and added to Sheer Khurma, that adds to the sweetness too.
- The choice of dry fruits is as per preference.
Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – CHCooks
Instagram – CHCooks
Twitter – Cookinfromheart