Its time I accept it, I was not a big fan of breads or sandwiches. While S could easily satisfy himself with a piece of bread and a little jam, I had this feeling of having *fever food*. Growing up, bread was the food given to us whenever we fell sick and somehow I got used to feeling the same way. It took a lot of effort from me to break that and grow my love towards breads. Ofcourse baking my own bread did help a lot. And then again, sister introduced me to some tasty cheese sandwiches every weekend and thats when I realized even breads can taste yumm!
I soon began my experiments with bread and sandwich making. Egg sandwiches, Pudina sandwiches, Veggie Sandwiches were made occasionally. Then one fine day, I had a chance to taste the spinach corn cheese sandwich at Cafe Coffee Day. Blame it on my growling stomach or that being the only eatable food around, I ended up loving it so much. I mentally made note of all the ingredients I could taste and wanted to try my hands on it as soon as possible. Now there is only one issue. S hates Spinach. I even showed him my favorite Popeye shows too – still no use :roll:. Took a lot of time convincing him that it would be great, before he let me try it.
This is my version of spinach corn sandwich and I can say that it has many followers now – the taste is unbeatable. On top of it, you can prepare the spread and refrigerate for upto 4days and make the sandwich in a jiffy!
What I used –
- Bread – French Loaf/Submarine Rolls/Regular Brown Bread will do too
- Cheese Slices – 2
- Spinach – 3 small bunches
- Onion – 1 big
- Sweet Corn Kernels Boiled- 1/2 cup
- Red Chillies – 3 or 4 (as per spiciness)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2.5tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Olive Oil – 1 tsp
How I made it –
- Roughly chop the onion and heat oil in a pan, Saute the onion until half done.
- Clean spinach by running it through salt water and roughly chop it too.
- Add ginger garlic paste to the frying onions, stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add chopped spinach. Let it cook. No need to add extra water as spinach leaves water on cooking.
- Add salt, red chillies.
- Cook until all water evaporates. Let the mixture cool.
- Grind it into a paste in a blender and set aside.
- Now all we are left to do is to set up the sandwich.
- If you are using a submarine roll or french loaf, make a cut in the center and split it open. If you are using regular bread, just use two slices. First slice to put up all the ingredients and the other one to cover.
- Start by spreading the spinach mixture generously over the bread. Put the boiled corn kernels on top and cover it with a slice of cheese. You can even grate cheese on top. Press the top of the roll/bread tightly so as to withhold all these stuffings.
- Microwave it for a couple of minutes/ Heat it on a tava/ Toast it in a sandwich maker until the cheese melts and its hot!
- Serve it with your favorite soup or salad 🙂 I served it with Broccoli Almond Soup! (Recipe coming up soon)
See I told you its simple! 🙂 If you are watching your weight, you can cut down the cheese totally and I can still assure you that it tastes awesome! Sometimes I add an additional layer of eggless chunky sandwich spread and it enhances the taste too.