I have never been big on cool drinks. Pretty much all my life, I have been a solid-fresh-fruit-for-me-please person. If I can have a fruit as it is, when it is wholesome, why would I want to blend it in with sugar and then drink it in a gulp has always been my logic. The husband on the other hand loves cool drinks and fruit juices. Every now and then, he would try and lure me to have a sip of his cool drink or get me to buy such stuff at the store. Recently, I started to make these drinks at home, to quench my husband’s thirst and to beat the summer heat, making it better than the store bought stuff.
Both of us don’t consume alcohol. I don’t even like aerated drinks. So, when I wanted to try Pina Colada at home, it had to be a non-alcoholic version – a virgin Pina Colada. With summer, came fresh pineapples and nothing seemed better than to make a yummy pineapple based cool drink. Pina Colada is an interesting cool drink with fresh pineapple and coconut milk/cream. Given how frequently we use coconut in our kitchen, this was such an easy recipe. Since my homemade coconut milk was thick, I served this Pina Colada slightly thick with cut pineapple piece on the side. For making it much richer, top it off with coconut cream.
To make Virgin Pina Colada | Pina Colada Mocktail
What I used –
- Fresh Pineapple Pieces, 1 cup
- Thick Coconut Milk, 1 cup
- Sugar, 3 -4 teaspoon (as required)
- Ice Cubes, 4-5 (as required)
- Pineapple Wedges, for garnish
How I made –
- In a blender, add chopped pineapple pieces along with sugar (if using). Blend it into a smooth puree.
- Add thick coconut milk and blend again for 5-10 secs until the Pina Colada is smooth and frothy.
- Pour into glasses and add ice cubes (if using). Serve cold with a pineapple wedge.
- Adjust sugar quantity as per preference. There is natural sweetness in pineapple and coconut milk already.
- I didn’t add ice cubes as my coconut milk and pineapple were cold.
- To make thick coconut milk at home, grind 1 cup of fresh coconut with 1 cup of water. Strain the coconut to get the first and thick coconut milk. Additionally, one more milk can be extracted from the same coconut which is not as thick as the first one.