Summers call for quick meals and this Creamy Potato Leek Soup gets done in a jiffy! Quite filling, delicious and perfect for busy weeknights or indulging weekends. Serve with a side of toasted bread or garlic bread for a perfect meal!
Given a choice I would live on potatoes forever and my undying love for crispy potatoes – be it a simple stove top potato fry or baby potato roast is not unknown on this blog. Even when there is nothing else in my pantry, there always would be onions, tomatoes and of course potatoes – that means I can whip up some delicious gravies like Dum Aloo and still get away serving restaurant style meals. Although I have to admit that making soups using potatoes would not be my first choice. After making this creamy potato leek soup, I am kicking myself as to why did I take so long to make something as delicious as this!
When I was able to find fresh leeks, my mind was racing with ideas but my very first thought had been to make some soup. With temperatures soaring, it is such a big ordeal to stay in the hot kitchen cooking elaborate meals and that’s why I wanted to make soup for dinner one evening. It just worked out perfectly when I thought of the creamy potato leek soup – first it is quite filling and you can pass it off as a meal and secondly, it is quite delicious – no one would say no.
Leek has a very delicate flavor and when combined with the goodness of potatoes, it makes for a tasty soup! In case if leeks are not available, use spring onion greens along with regular onions but if you do get a chance, find fresh leeks and try out this soup. I served this soup warm with the side of some whole wheat toast and it was just perfect! I did add some fresh cream at the end to get the creamy texture but those who are watching their weight can replace cream with milk and still get the same flavor.
How to make Creamy Potato Leek Soup
Creamy Potato Leek Soup
1 cup = 250ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- 3 Medium Potatoes
- 2 Leek Stalks
- 3-4 Garlic Pods
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- 2 teaspoon Fresh Cream
- Water/Vegetable Stock as needed
- Salt as needed
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Chives/Spring Onion to Garnish
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat butter and add finely chopped garlic. Fry for a minute.
- Clean Leeks by removing the roots and any dark green upper parts. Chop them finely and add it to the pan, fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add chopped potatoes and fry for 3-4 mins on low flame.
- Add water as needed and cook it covered until potatoes are soft.
- Once the mixture cools down, grind into a smooth paste. Add it back to the pan along with some water and add fresh cream. Heat for a couple of minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve hot or warm with a side of toast. Drizzle some olive oil or melted butter on top along with chopped chives.
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Creamy Potato Leek Soup
1. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat butter and add finely chopped garlic. Fry for a minute.
2. Clean Leeks by removing the roots and any dark green upper parts. Chop them finely and add it to the pan along with potatoes, fry for a couple of minutes.
3. Add water or vegetable stock as needed and cook it covered until potatoes are soft.
4. Once the mixture cools down, grind into a smooth paste.
5. Add it back to the pan along with some water and add fresh cream. Heat for a couple of minutes and remove from heat.
6. Serve hot or warm with a side of toast. Drizzle some olive oil or melted butter on top along with chopped chives.
- Instead of fresh cream, milk can be used too.
- Use vegetable stock if available.