Step-wise picture recipe to make insanely delicious thick Custard Apple Milkshake at home. This Sitaphal or Custard Apple Milkshake makes for a filling snack or a refreshing drink for kids and adults alike.
So it’s been raining custard apples (called as Sitaphal/Sita Pazham/Sitaphalam) everywhere and I laid my hands on some freshest, plucked right off the tree fruits recently. We love custard apples but strangely never bought them in the recent years, for reasons not known to us. As a kid I used to love these custard apples and it used to be so nice having these with my mom. Until I saw these juicy, delicious custard apples, I had even forgotten how these taste. The first thought that came to my mind was to make this Custard Apple Milkshake. I am not a huge fan of smoothies but then I give in once a while to make some delicious stuff at home, to beat the cravings. Check out the other cool drinks and smoothies/milkshake recipes on this blog.
Although I have had my share of tasting custard apples, I have never made Custard Apple Milkshake or Sitaphal milkshake at home. One of the biggest reasons being, separating the fruit pulp from the seeds. By the way, even eating these fruits is kind of a big mess but then it is well worth it. So I followed a little trick for separating out the seeds and it worked perfectly. It was messy sure but again well worth the effort given how delicious this Custard Apple Milkshake is.
As the custard apples were ripe, juicy and sweet, I had to add very little sugar and even that can be substituted for honey. This custard apple milkshake requires literally three ingredients – Custard Apple/Sitaphal, Milk and Sugar. Once the humungous task of extracting the fruit pulp is done, the actual process is a mere 5 minute task and this milkshake stores well in the fridge for 2-3 days. So make it ahead or better yet, freeze to use later.
How to make Custard Apple Milkshake | Sitaphal Milkshake
Custard Apple Milkshake | Sitaphal Milkshake
1 cup = 250ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- 3 Ripe Custard Apples
- 1.5 cups Milk chilled or at room temperature
- 2-3 teaspoon Sugar or Honey
- Split open the ripe custard apple and scoop out the pulp onto a blender jar.
- Pulse once or twice so that the seeds are separated from the fruit pulp.
- Fish out for the seeds and remove them. Add sugar and blend again until smooth.
- Now add milk and blend again until the milkshake is thick.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Detailed step by step picture recipe of making Custard Apple Milkshake | Sitaphal Milkshake
1. Split open the ripe custard apple and scoop out the pulp.
1.1 Add the pulp onto a juice or blender jar.
2. Pulse once or twice so that the seeds are separated from the fruit pulp.
3. Fish out for the seeds and remove them. Add sugar and blend again until smooth.
4. Now add milk and blend again until the milkshake is thick.
5. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Make sure custard apple is ripe and sweet.
- Just pulse (don’t blend) to separate out the seeds.
- Adjust sugar quantity depending on the desired sweetness.
- Optionally add dry fruits like slivered cashews or almonds on top.
- Replace milk with vegan options like almond or soy, if needed.