Extremely simple, easy and delicious Eggless Chocolate Pudding recipe with step-wise pictures. This no bake no eggs instant chocolate pudding is quick to make and is a party pleaser!
After baking a few recipes for Christmas, I wanted to make something quick and this easy eggless chocolate pudding came to my rescue. Truth be told I had to make this recipe (and probably a few more) to finish off a box of Hershey’s Cocoa Powder that is going to expire soon. My original idea was to bake a batch of these delicious eggless brownies since it’s been so long I made them. But then, after all the heavy desserts we have been eating in the name of this holiday season, I had to switch to something light and quick, so this pudding got made.
Making this Eggless Chocolate Pudding is so simple – all it requires is five ingredients.
1. Cocoa powder
2. Corn Starch
5. Vanilla Essence
That’s all. You just need to whisk them all together and then cook until the mixture is glossy, pour them into moulds and set them in the fridge. The best part about making these pudding cups is that they store well for a day or two in the fridge, so it is easy to make them ahead for lunch or dinner parties. Although just cocoa powder and corn starch are used, it turns out chocolatey and fits right to satiate your sweet tooth.
Ideally this Easy Eggless Chocolate Pudding is more of a chocolate custard really, as there is no baking or cooking involved. To make custard, you can always use store bought custard powder but in case if that’s not available, one of the best alternative is to use corn starch or corn flour. It acts as a thickener and it is one of the main ingredients in packaged custard powder too. The other options could be using gelatin powder or agar-agar powder. I used corn starch as that requires very less setting time and that I had it handy.
Now there are a few things to ensure that your eggless chocolate pudding turns out perfect.
Whisk, Whisk & Whisk – Both cocoa powder and corn flour form lumps very easily and that could affect the texture of the pudding. So make sure that the corn flour, cocoa slurry is lump free. Run it through a sieve to get rid of any lumps. If at all the mixture does turn lumpy, run it through a sieve again! It is important to cook the pudding at low heat and with continuous stirring. This prevents lumps from forming and ensures even cooking. Having run the moulds in water helps in de-moulding eggless chocolate pudding easily once it is set. Lastly, once cooled down and set it fridge the chocolate pudding develops a skin on top. If you are not a fan, easiest way to avoid this is to place cling film touching the surface of the pudding.
Though this is such a simple dessert, it can easily be fancified by adding a few slices of strawberries or raspberries, shaved chocolate or sprinkles. I used some macerated cherries and small silver balls along with some dark chocolate shavings. So, here is how you can make simple yet amazing Eggless Chocolate Pudding. Check out other Eggless Desserts too!
How to make Easy Eggless Chocolate Pudding | No Bake Chocolate Pudding
Easy Eggless Chocolate Pudding | No Bake Chocolate Pudding
1 cup = 250ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 2 tablespoon Corn Starch/Flour
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- In a mixing bowl, add cocoa powder and corn flour. Mix well until there are no lumps.
- Add ½ cup of milk. Whisk well and ensure that there are no lumps.
- In a pan, add 1.5 cups of milk and to it, strain the cocoa corn flour mixture.
- Heat it on low flame and whisk continuously. Add sugar and mix well.
- Next add vanilla essence. In 3-4 mins the mixture begins to thicken.
- Continue cooking until it turns glossy and thick. It should coat the spoon well enough.
- Remove it from heat and pour the mixture into ramekins/moulds that are wet inside.
- Place them covered in the fridge for an hour at least. Decorate it with berries, chocolate shavings or sprinkles. Serve chilled.
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Easy Eggless Chocolate Pudding | No Bake Chocolate Pudding
1. In a mixing bowl, add cocoa powder and corn flour.
2. Mix well until there are no lumps.
3. Add ½ cup of milk.
4. Whisk well and ensure that there are no lumps.
5. In a pan, add 1.5 cups of milk and to it, strain the cocoa corn flour mixture.
6. Heat it on low flame and whisk continuously. Add sugar and mix well.
7. Next add vanilla essence.
8. In 3-4 mins the mixture begins to thicken.
9. Continue cooking until it turns glossy and thick. It should coat the spoon well enough.
10. Remove it from heat and pour the mixture into ramekins/moulds that are wet inside.
11. Place them covered in the fridge for an hour at least. Decorate it with berries, chocolate shavings or sprinkles. Serve chilled.
- Adjust the amount of sugar as per sweetness preferred.
- I used non-stick pan with a silicon spoon to make this, as it would be easier to clean it.