Crispy fried golden onion rings are a delicious indulgence! It is really simple to make onion rings at home with this step by step picture recipe.
Every time we eat out, I have a favorite game to play. I take note of all the new things we try and figure out the recipe soon after coming home. At one such dine out experience, I recently sampled Onion Rings. A mere 14-15 rings costed a bomb and immediately my brain started working out a recipe to make these Golden Onion Rings at home.
I don’t usually deep fry stuff, in fact I hate that task so much that I rake my brain to come up with non-fried options of the same. (Check out these low calorie snack recipes if you are like me too!) And then there are times I would like to indulge the husband with some delicious deep fried stuff for he loves it. Today’s recipe is nothing about health, it is loaded with calories but is insanely delicious! This golden onion rings are so crispy that there is no stopping with just one or two.
My recipe for Golden Onion Rings is very simple. I had made Golden Baby Corn Fry few months ago and I used the same recipe to make these crispy onion rings too. The spices that I used are very simple and Indianized, to suit our taste buds. I don’t know if this is authentic, but I know this works without fail. These golden onion rings stay crispy for a longer time comparatively and are great as a tea time snack too.
How to make Golden Onion Rings | Crispy Fried Onion Rings
Golden Onion Rings | Crispy Fried Onion Rings
1 cup = 250ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- 1 Large Onion
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoon Corn Flour
- 1 tablespoon Rice Flour
- ½ teaspoon Cooking Soda (Baking Soda)
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
- Oil for deep frying
- Cut Onions into Roundels and separate out the rings.
- In a bowl add all-purpose flour, rice flour, corn flour, salt, red chilli powder and cooking soda.
- Add water as needed and mix it into a smooth batter that is neither too thick nor too thin.
- When the onion rings are dipped into the batter, it should coat it evenly.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Once hot, set it on medium flame. Gently drop each onion ring in hot oil.
- Fry until it is golden brown. Remove onto a tissue. Repeat this for all onion rings.
- Serve immediately with cheesy mayonnaise or tomato ketchup.
Detailed step by step picture tutorial of making Golden Onion Rings | Crispy Fried Onion Rings
1. Cut Onions into Roundels and separate out the rings.
2. In a bowl add all-purpose flour, rice flour, corn flour, salt, red chilli powder and cooking soda.
3. Add water as needed and mix it into a smooth batter that is neither too thick nor too thin.
4. When the onion rings are dipped into the batter, it should coat it evenly.
5. Heat oil for deep frying. Once hot, set it on medium flame. Gently drop each onion ring in hot oil.
6. Fry until it is golden brown. Remove onto a tissue. Repeat this for all onion rings.
7. Serve immediately with cheesy mayonnaise or tomato ketchup.
- Adjust spices as per preference.
- Oil has to be hot first and then set the flame on medium. If the onion ring changes color too quickly, reduce the flame. If it is takes too long to change color, increase the flame.
I would be delighted to know if you have tried this recipe, don’t forget to share your feedback and comments below. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me! I am also available on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter 🙂
Freda @ Aromatic essence
Scrumptious snack! Looks so yummy!
Thanks dear 🙂
Traditionally Modern Food
Wow perfectly cooked dear. Looks super tempting what a tatsy appetizer
Thanks dear 🙂
Onion rings are my favorite.. This is looking absolutely gorgeous..
Thanks Nimmi 🙂
Recently I made this..my kids loved it.Perfect tea time snack
Yes it is 🙂
These look so crispy and yummy 🙂
Thank you 🙂
Onion rings are such a weakness of mine! I have what I thought was a perfect recipe, but now I am craving this!! 🙂
I have to check out your recipe! Thanks Mollie 🙂