I am a big fan of soups. Nothing can beat a hearty bowl of soup – not only it is fulfilling, it’s easy to make and quite good for health too. I have posted a few of my favorite soup recipes on this blog so far and this one today, is a recent addition to my list of most loved soups. I usually prefer having thick soups that can serve us as a meal but then there are times, you wish for something light yet tasty. That’s how I made this Lemon Coriander Soup.
A supposedly clear soup, I loaded it with my preferred veggies and turned it into a vegetable soup. I have said this before – lemon is not something I enjoy but adding it to this soup, made it quite tasty. For anyone who loves the flavor and fragrance of coriander, this soup is a must try. In a nut-shell, I sneaked in veggies, lemon juice and lots of fresh green coriander – called it a soup. It vanished from the pot, soon after the preparation – making it perfect for the cold night, with lots of crushed pepper.
To make <strong>Lemon Coriander Soup</strong>
What I used –
- Onion, 1 medium
- Garlic Pods, 3-4
- Finely Chopped French Beans, 1/3 cup
- Finely Chopped/Grated Carrots, 1/3 cup
- Coriander Leaves, 1/3 cup (tightly packed)
- Crushed Peppercorns, 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice, 2 tbsp (or from one medium lemon)
- Green Chilly, 1 (optional)
- Olive Oil, 1 tsp
- Salt, as required
- Water, as required
How I made –
1. In a pan, heat oil. Add finely chopped garlic and fry for ten secs. Add finely chopped onion and cut green chilly. Fry until translucent.
2. Add finely chopped French beans and carrots and fry for 4-5 mins. Add 2 cups or more of water and let the vegetable cook for 5-6 mins. The soup should be boiling by now. Reduce the flame to medium.
3. Add finely chopped coriander leaves and let the soup boil for over a couple of minutes. Add crushed black pepper and salt required for the soup. Remove from heat. Now add the lemon juice and mix well.
4. Serve hot immediately.
- The choice of vegetables is completely as per preference. I had carrots and beans, ended up using them. Alternatively, this can be made without vegetables too – just with onion, garlic and vegetable stock.
- Instead of plain water, vegetable stock can be used if available.
- Adjust the quantity of pepper powder and lemon juice as per preference.
- Green Chilly is optional, adds to additional spiciness.
- Chop the coriander leaves as fine as possible for better flavor.
- Don’t boil the soup too much after adding coriander leaves, the leaves don’t taste that good when cooked completely.
- Lemon juice has to be added only after the soup is removed from heat. Sometimes better to wait until the soup is warm, as the juice can turn the soup bitter when added hot.