Step-wise picture recipe to make a super simple yet really delicious Indian Style Picked Onions or Sirke Wale Pyaas as they are popularly known. Make these quick pickled red onions in less than 10 mins and store for upto a week!
Well, I have been MIA for longer than I anticipated and this year is full of surprise twists for me. Just while we were settling down in our new house and I was finding a comfortable routine, I was presented with a travel opportunity to the US. I am just back after a very nice trip to Sacramento and thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality, weather and of course my first snow! I made a lot of sweet purchases for my kitchen that is already overflowing with so much stuff and I cant wait to show all of it here. Before I digress anymore, here is a simple yet delicious recipe for Indian Pickled Onions that can be made in a jiffy!
I love onions and garlic, one of the best things that pairs well with rotis and a good paneer or mushroom curry for me would be sliced onions and a wedge of lemon. I just love to drizzle lemon juice all over the onions and they taste great with rotis, paratha or phulkas. Recently we were served some simple pickled onions in a North Indian restaurant, not only did I love the pink colored onions but totally fell in love with the taste. Obviously, I had to try it out in my kitchen and needless to say it was a huge hit.
Indian Pickled Onions or Sirke Wale Pyaas is a recipe made with pickling pearl onions in a mixture of spices and vinegar. I wanted to make it all natural and instead of vinegar, used lemon juice. The onions take a pretty pink color thanks to yet another natural color agent – grated beetroot! Since I was out of shallots or pearl onions, I used regular red onions and yet, it was delicious. I stored it in a glass jar in the fridge and it was good for about a week. Avoid storing pickles in metal or plastic containers and use sterilized glass for better shelf life. So here is how you can make Indian Pickled Onions with this simple recipe!
How to make Pickled Onions | Sirke Wale Pyaas
Pickled Onions | Sirke Wale Pyaas
Measurements1 cup = 250ml, 1 tbsp = 15ml, 1 tsp = 5ml
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Large Lemon
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 2 tbsp Grated Beetroot
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Chop the onion length wise into thin slices and add it to the glass bottle along with finely chopped green chillies.
- In a bowl, add all the other ingredients – grated beetroot, juice from one large lemon, salt and sugar – mix well.
- Add this mixture to the chopped onions and close the lid of the bottle. Give a good shake and let it rest for 30-40mins before serving.
- Store refrigerated in an airtight glass bottle for upto a week.
Sirke Wale Pyaas Recipe with Step by Step Pictures
1. Chop the onion length wise into thin slices and add it to the glass bottle along with finely chopped green chillies.
2. In a bowl, add all the other ingredients – grated beetroot, juice from one large lemon, salt and sugar – mix well.
3. Add this mixture to the chopped onions and close the lid of the bottle.
4. Give it a good shake and let it rest for 30-40 mins before serving.
5. Store refrigerated in an airtight glass bottle for upto a week.
- Use a cup of peeled pearl onions instead of regular onions.
- Instead of lemon juice, use 1/4 cup of natural vinegar for pickling the onions.