An easy step by step picture recipe to make one of the Andhra special Vinaya Chaturthi recipes – Undrallu or Kudumulu. These spicy rice dumplings are great for breakfast or dinner too!
Vinayaka Chavithi/Ganesh Chaturthi, one of the festivals I look forward to every year is almost here. The elephant God, Ganesha loves all kinds of food and that is probably why, I like Him so much too. Every year, we make atleast 5 to 7 varieties of specialties and for anyone from Andhra (telugu speaking people) Undrallu is an absolute must. In some places, they are called as Kudumulu as well and apparently, it is one of the most favorite things for our Ganesha too, so much that it gets mentioned in his slokas too.
Undrallu are spicy dumplings, made with coarsely ground raw rice. The flavors are quite simple and yet, the results are exquisite. Almost every household has their version of Undrallu and obviously the one I am sharing today is our family recipe and this is how my mom makes it. Traditionally, the rice rava is just cooked in a water flavored with spices like cumin and salt along with chana dal. Once the mixture is cooled down, they are made into round dumplings which are steamed again.
This traditional method of making Undrallu is slightly time consuming and without right proportions of water, it might turn out a little dry. My mom makes an almost instant version of Undrallu in pressure cooker and this is our go to recipe since a few years. We usually don’t steam cook the dumplings for a second time and that fastens the whole process.
Undrallu or Kudumulu are very similar to Upma Kozhukattai or Uppu Urundai that is made in Tamilnadu, with very subtle differences. Also, you could make this Andhra style Uppudu Pindi and make them as Undrallu too 🙂 My mom usually makes a spicy Andhra style Daniyala Kaaram (Dhaniya Pachadi/ Chutney made from coriander seeds) to go with Undrallu and the very mention of the combo makes my mouth water! It would still taste good with coconut chutney and can be served as breakfast or dinner too!
Check out other Ganesh Chaturthi recipes too!
Here is the video recipe for making Undrallu in traditional way using a bronze pot (paruppu uruli)
How to make Undrallu | Kudumulu –
Detailed step-wise picture recipe of making Undrallu | Kudumulu –
1. In a small pressure cooker, heat oil and ghee. Splutter jeera/cumin seeds.
2. Pour the water and set the flame on medium.
3. Add washed and drained chana dal.
4. Once the water comes to a rolling boil, reduce the flame and add salt as needed. Mix well.
5. Next add the rice rava and give it a good stir.
6. Pressure cook on low flame for 1 whistle or 10-15 mins (Even if there is no whistle sound, switch off the flame). Let it sit for 10-15 mins.
7. Once it is warm enough to handle, make roundels.
8. Repeat the process with rest of the prepared mixture.
9. Serve hot with any spicy chutney, avakaya pickle or coconut chutney.
- I used store bought rice rava (not the idli rava) made with raw rice.
- To make the rice rava at home, pulse raw rice until it is of desired coarseness. Sieve to remove any fine flour.
- Adjust the amount of water depending on the coarseness of the rava.
Reach out to me at email@example.com! Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – Cookingfromheart
Instagram – Cookingfromheart
Twitter – Cookinfromheart