In my continuous effort to increase the number of fruits and vegetables we consume every day, I have been trying to prepare some new type of salads every now and then. While I was watching a cookery show, I happened to hear about this red cabbage and pear salad for the first time. I had always used red cabbage for preparing coleslaw but never in a salad as it is. Luckily I had some pears with me so I decided to give it a try right away. The dressing for my salad is based on my instincts and I found that it worked perfectly for us. I used lemon juice, mustard, pepper and salt. The sweetness from the pears and the crunch of red cabbage worked beautifully – needless to talk to about the awesome color of the salad. To enhance the taste further, I used some dry roasted peanuts. Inorder to make it easier to chew, I grated the cabbage finely and pear, sliced thin. I am sure this would be repeated in our home many times 🙂
To make Red cabbage Pear Salad
What I used –
For the Dressing –
- Lemon Juice, 2 tbsp
- Mustard, 1 tbsp
- Salt, as required
- Pepper Powder, ½ tsp
- Olive Oil/Vegetable Oil, 1 tsp
For the Salad -
- Grated Red Cabbage, 2 cups
- Thin Sliced Pear, 1 cup
- Dry Roasted Peanuts, 2 tablespoon (with skin)
How I made –
1. To prepare the salad dressing, mix all the ingredients under dressing well until mixed together. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, add the grated red cabbage and thinly sliced pear and mix well. Add the salad dressing.
3. Toss everything together well. Check for salt and spiciness. Add the dry roasted peanuts and mix well.
4. Serve immediately with roasted peanuts on top.
- I roasted the peanuts in microwave – high for 2 mins. Alternatively, peanuts can be roasted on stove top as well. Leave the skin intact to not lose any nutrients.
- Adjust the amount of pepper powder as per the spiciness required
- Mustard is optional in the salad dressing, but I found the taste to be quite unique.
- Serve the salad immediately after adding the dressing or else, the vegetable would leave water and that doesn’t look or taste good.
Thank you so much Dimple 🙂
The Girl Next Door
What is the mustard that you use in the dressing? Yellow mustard and not black mustard seeds, right? I got a packet of yellow mustard recently, and have been wondering what to do with it. This might be perfect for trying it out! 🙂
Very unique recipe! 🙂
Oh thats not yellow mustard seeds TGND. Mustard as in the sauce - I use Delmonte and I am not entirely sure what goes into making this mustard sauce (or Mustard as they call it). Few months back, we got yellow mustard seeds too - Amma used it for making mustard powder used for Avakkaya pickle. I tried using them in the place of black mustard seeds - didnt like it much.
Amazing crunchy salad.
Thanks a lot Sri 🙂
Wow lovely that colour....looks delicious...:) 🙂
Thank you so much dear 🙂
Traditionally Modern Food
Never thought about a salad with red cabbage.. Lovely color na..looks visually pleasing I bet it tastes grt
Yes it does Vidya 🙂
Freda @ Aromatic essence
Thanks Freda 🙂
What a color .. wow ?
Thanks a lot Monika 🙂
Lynz Real Cooking
Wow looks gorgeous!
Thank you so much Lynn 🙂
Lynz Real Cooking