With the temperature soaring in different parts of the country, I have such a cooling dessert beverage to share today – Rose Falooda! Falooda is a delicious dessert in a bowl that is quite popular all over India. The origins of this amazing dessert beverage clearly seem to have come from Persia, with merchants travelling into the country. Like a lot of food recipes in India, this Rose Falooda is not native here but something that has been made so over the years.
Traditionally a Falooda is prepared with a combination of different stuff – from cooked vermicelli to fruit/rose syrup, flavored milk, sweet basil seeds, jelly and finished off with a big dollop of ice cream. Once all the ingredients are in place, all it takes is a few minutes to assemble this delicious dessert.
Of late we have been in love with rose flavor and when I wanted to try out our favorite dessert at home, I wanted it to be Rose Falooda. Truth be told, I am a recent convert unlike the husband who loves Falooda anytime of the day. As I had already made the Rose Jelly and Strawberry Ice Cream, it was super simple to put this Rose Falooda together as an after meal dessert. Check out the detailed step by step pictures below and refer the notes for some tips/tricks in making Falooda at home.
How to make Rose Falooda –
Detailed step by step picture tutorial of making Easy Rose Falooda at home –
Prep Work –
1. Mix 4 tbsp of rose syrup in cold milk.
2. Mix well, check for sweetness and add little sugar if needed. Chill until needed.
3. In a bowl, take 2 tsp of Sabja/Sweet Basil Seeds.
4. Add ½ cup of water to it and soon the seeds begin to swell.
5. Once every seed has expanded, set it aside.
6. In a small pan, heat ½ cup of water. Add 2 tbsp of Vermicelli.
7. On low flame, let the Vermicelli come to a boil.
8. Once cooked, drain the water and set it aside.
9. Chill the tall serving glasses until the dessert is ready to be served.
How to assemble Rose Falooda –
2. First add cut pieces of rose jelly as the first layer.
3. Add 1 tbsp of rose syrup per serving as the next layer.
4. Follow it with 1 tbsp of soaked Sabja/Basil seeds.
5. Next add 1-2 tbsp of cooked Vermicelli.
6. Add 1.5 cups of chilled Rose Milk per serving glass.
7. Add 1 scoop of Strawberry Ice Cream.
8. Top off with cut Rose Jelly pieces. Serve cold or chilled immediately.
- Once the jelly and ice cream are prepared, setting up Falooda takes very less time.
- Here are Rose Syrup, Rose Jelly and Strawberry Ice Cream recipes.
- Traditionally arrowroot Vermicelli is used for Falooda but for easy availability I used regular wheat Vermicelli.
- Any favorite flavor of ice cream can be used.
- Sabja seeds immediately absorb water and bulge. In case of non-availability, use Chia seeds.
- It is essential that the serving glass, flavored milk are chilled before assembling Rose Falooda.
Also follow me on:
Facebook – Cooking From Heart
Pinterest – CHCooks
Instagram – CHCooks
Twitter – Cookinfromheart