Decadent and delicious Royal Falooda recipe with detailed step by step pictures. Royal Falooda Video Recipe, homemade royal fruit falooda video recipe – delectable summer special dessert, with ice creams and dry fruits!
Royal Falooda is a delicious summer special dessert made at home with very easily available ingredients in any pantry. Falooda is not traditional to India or has been brought over to the country from Persia with merchants coming in for trade. Ever since, this special dessert has evolved with many different flavor combinations and has been Indianized. This is one of those summer special desserts that is quite popular across India. Unlike the general notion, falooda is very easy to put together at home - I had previously shared Rose Falooda recipe and it is simple, beautiful flavored.
Royal Falooda is rich, exotic and so delectable with many different dry fruits, fresh fruits, homemade jelly and thick, luscious badam milk base. It has at least three different flavors of ice creams and it is also garnished with wafers, chocolate sticks and cherries. There are a few different components that together make the falooda. It doesn’t take much time or effort to put the royal fruit falooda recipe together once all the required components are prepared or made ready. It is a once-in-a-while indulgence and when at home, it is relatively healthy and equally delicious.
Sabja Seeds also known as Sweet Basil Seeds are soaked in water until they are jelly like and is then used as the first component in assembling the falooda. Sabja seeds are healthy, regulating the body temperature and help in cooling down the body, there by useful to consume during hot summer months.
Rose Jelly or any flavored colorful jelly is used as the next component, one of the main ingredients for assembling the falooda. I use vegan ingredient agar-agar to make jelly at home, refer to the Rose Jelly recipe for more details.
Vermicelli or Falooda Sev is an integral part of the dessert. Traditionally cooked corn starch is used to make the sev but it is a time-consuming process, so I have used ready-to-use whole wheat thin unroasted vermicelli which is much like the falooda sev. You can use any vermicelli available.
Mixed Fruits like Apples, Bananas, Pomegranate Arils, Grapes are used as the next layer in assembling the royal falooda. These fruits go well with the falooda base and also taste delicious with ice creams. It is best to avoid citrus-based fruits to prevent milk-based ingredients from curdling.
Mixed Dry Fruits like Almonds, Cashews, Pistachios and Raisins are used. Other dry fruits like apricots or dates can be also be used depending on the availability and preference.
Thick homemade Badam Kheer or Badam Milk is used as the falooda base, to fill it up. You can also use rose milk, dry fruit milkshakes or other fruit based milk shakes as the liquid falooda base component.
Three or more flavors of Ice Creams are used in making the royal fruit falooda. I chose to use Vanilla Ice Cream, Chocolate Ice Cream and Strawberry Ice Cream to fill up my falooda glass. Other ice cream flavors like Dry Fruit, Pistachio can also be used. It is better to avoid dark chocolate or caramel flavored ice creams.
Wafers, Chocolate Sticks, Cherries and Dry Fruits are used to garnished the falooda before serving. It can also be drizzled with any flavored syrups or chocolate sauce on top.
For full list of ingredients and exact measurements, check the recipe below.
It is absolutely essential to get all the ingredients chilled and prepared ahead. Ice Creams should be hard-frozen for best results. (My freezer conked off when I made this falooda, hence this hard learned lesson)
Using a tall falooda glass that has been set in the freezer for a few minutes makes the falooda as look beautiful as it tastes. Some of the recipes are not just about the ingredients but also about presentation, this is one such recipe where we devour it with our eyes first.
You can always mix the chopped fruits in a teaspoon of honey to prevent fruits like apple from oxidizing and changing color.
Substitutions & Variations
It is not necessary to use badam milk as the falooda base. It can be replaced with rose milk or any other fruit-based milkshakes. You can also use dry fruits milkshake or plain vanilla milkshake.
You can mix & match any combination of fruits and dry fruits & nuts, depending on the availability and taste preferences. Fruits like orange, pineapple are best avoided as they are acidic in nature and can cause milk-based ingredients to curdle. Dry fruits like walnuts probably do not taste as good as other nuts.
You can use any available flavors of ice creams to make the royal falooda. Generally, colorful scoops of ice creams make the dessert look contrasting, hence three or more different ice cream flavors.
Sprinkles, toppings and garnishes can also be replaced or skipped depending on individual taste preferences and choices.
Storing & Serving Suggestions
Royal Falooda is best served immediately after assembling. It is better to make sure all the components of the falooda are prepared ahead and stored in fridge or freezer accordingly. When it is ready to be served, it makes it much easier to layer the components to make the falooda. While the individual components can be made ahead of time, the dessert itself cannot be frozen as it can lose its texture. For a few minutes or so, it can be set in fridge if needed.
Royal Falooda Video Recipe
Royal Falooda Recipe with Step by Step Pictures
First soak 2 teaspoon sabja seeds in enough water, mix well and set aside for 5 minutes.
The sabja seeds should double up in volume and become jelly like.
In a bowl bring ½ cup water to boil. Add 2 tablespoon vermicelli and mix well.
Cook on medium low flame until the vermicelli is soft.
Drain off the excess water and set aside.
Prepare Rose Jelly and allow it to set at room temperature. Cut it into small squares and set aside.
Prepare Badam Kheer by either from scratch using fresh almonds or use ready-to-use badam milk mix. Keep it chilled until ready to make falooda.
Assemble all the ingredients around the falooda glass to make royal falooda – cooked vermicelli, soaked sabja seeds, chilled badam kheer, chopped mixed fruits, chopped dry fruits & nuts, rose jelly and the ice creams.
To assemble each serving of Royal Fruit Falooda
Add 2 tablespoon soaked sabja seeds into the serving glass or falooda glass. Next add 2 tablespoon rose jelly.
Add 2 tablespoon cooked vermicelli.
Next add 2-3 tablespoon of chopped apples and bananas, followed by 2-3 tablespoon of pomegranate arils & chopped grapes.
Now add 2 tablespoon of chopped dry fruits & nuts – almonds, cashews, pistachios and raisins.
Pour 1 cup of chilled badam kheer.
Next add 1 scoop each of vanilla ice cream, chocolate ice cream and strawberry ice cream.
Garnish with strawberry wafer, chocolate stick and top of with candied cherry. Garnish with chopped dry fruits & nuts.
- Refer to Rose Jelly, Badam Kheer recipes and make them ahead.
- Keep all the ingredients chilled & frozen as needed until the falooda is ready to be assembled.
- Quantities and choices of different falooda components can be varied depending on individual preferences and choices.
More Summer Recipes
Royal Falooda | Homemade Royal Fruit Falooda
1 cup = 250ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- 2 cups Cold Badam Kheer/Milk recipe in notes
- 2 teaspoon Sabja/Sweet Basil Seeds
- 2 tablespoon Vermicelli/Falooda Sev
- 2 scoops Strawberry Ice Cream
- 2 Scoops Chocolate Ice Cream
- 2 Scoops Vanilla Ice Cream
- 4 tablespoon Rose Jelly recipe in notes
- ½ cup Chopped Mixed Fruits Apples, Bananas, Pomegranate Arils, Grapes
- ¼ cup Chopped Dry Fruits Almonds, Cashews, Pistachios, Raisins
- Strawberry Wafer to Garnish
- Chocolate Sticks to Garnish
- Candied Cherries to Garnish
- First soak 2 teaspoon sabja seeds in enough water, mix well and set aside for 5 minutes.
- The sabja seeds should double up in volume and become jelly like.
- In a bowl bring ½ cup water to boil. Add 2 tablespoon vermicelli and mix well.
- Cook on medium low flame until the vermicelli is soft.
- Drain off the excess water and set aside.
- Prepare Rose Jelly and allow it to set at room temperature. Cut it into small squares and set aside.
- Prepare Badam Kheer by either from scratch using fresh almonds or use ready-to-use badam milk mix. Keep it chilled until ready to make falooda.
- Get all the ingredients around the falooda glass to assemble or make royal falooda – cooked vermicelli, soaked sabja seeds, chilled badam kheer, chopped mixed fruits, chopped dry fruits & nuts, rose jelly and the ice creams.
- To assemble each serving of Royal Fruit Falooda:
- Add 2 tablespoon soaked sabja seeds into the serving glass or falooda glass. Next add 2 tablespoon rose jelly.
- Add 2 tablespoon cooked vermicelli.
- Next add 2-3 tablespoon of chopped apples and bananas, followed by 2-3 tablespoon of pomegranate arils & chopped grapes.
- Now add 2 tablespoon of chopped dry fruits & nuts – almonds, cashews, pistachios and raisins.
- Pour 1 cup of chilled badam kheer.
- Next add 1 scoop each of vanilla ice cream, chocolate ice cream and strawberry ice cream.
- Garnish with strawberry wafer, chocolate stick and top of with candied cherry. Garnish with chopped dry fruits & nuts.
- Serve immediately!