I had been wanting to try this recipe for a long long time now and somehow it didnt happen. When I had the mood, there was no pumpkin and vice versa. Finally, I had the pumpkin and I immediately tried this soup – Its plain awesome. One should have a spoonful of this soup to understand what i am saying. The natural sweetness from the pumpkin, rich flavour and creamy texture leaves you spell bound. This is a kind of thick soup which can be used along side evening snacks and it would be so filling. Here is the recipe for the rich-creamy-silky-velvety Pumpkin Soup. I am using milk instead of cream which gives you the same taste but is low – calorie.
- Diced pumpkin – 1 cup
- Finely chopped onions – 4-5 Tbsp
- Butter – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Vegetable Stock – 1 cup
- Salt – as required
- Take a pan, heat the butter. Add chopped onions and let them get golden brown.
- Add the pumpkin pieces and let them cook for a minute.
- Pour the vegetable stock and let the mixture boil well.
- Once the pumpkin is cooked well, strain the pumpkin/onion from the stock.
- Blend the pumpkin and onion into a fine paste after letting them cool.
- Add the paste into the stock and bring to boil again.
- It will be very thick and full of pumpkin. Add milk and bring the mixture close to boil
- Additional boiling can lead to milk getting curdled. Switch off the heat as soon as the mixture is close to boil.
- Add salt and serve hot. Pepper powder can be added but it spoils the richness of the soup and its flavors.